Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

We got 20 minutes out and then it pissed down for the duration. It was still raining when I got home. Chickens were dry. I was dripping and had a numb arse from sitting on the roost bar.:hmm
One of the people who lives in one of the houses that back onto the allotment stopped by for a chat. We've exchanged greetings a few times. It was interesting to hear yet another version of what has gone on here at the allotments. They said they were going to bring me out a cup of tea next time they see me out there in bad weather. Apparently all the houses on that stretch have seen what they call the chicken man.:D
I was hoping to get all the rubble and wood I've dug out from the side I've just finished out of the run today.:idunno
View attachment 3448321View attachment 3448320View attachment 3448322
chicken man > superman

chicken man > superman
Are you sure?

R5vMp5SxwSimCeQnuXyDPC-970-80.jpg.webp

10C with intermittant drizzle. We got out. The dug ground had drained while the last patch in front of the coop was a puddle of chicken shit and mud. I got some more rubble and rubbish out of the run but given I have to be out and close by with the chickens most of two and a half hours there was spent supervising.
P3300680.JPG
P3300681.JPG

P3300682.JPG

They are plotting something!
P3300684.JPG
P3300685.JPG

Today there was a program on our Dutch TV about HPAI and the chicken industry. How it became an ongoing problem and its getting more hazardous year by year with an increase of mammals getting killed by the virus.
They showed pictures of fox brains. How it infected the brains of foxes that had eaten dead birds.
And they explained why it is too difficult to vaccinate all commercial poultry. They need much more people to do this then we ever could manage.
According to 2 of the speakers : If we keep on doing things as we do now, this problem is never going away and might get serious problematic for human health care in the future.
Best way would probably be to divide the numbers in two and even more in regions where there are huge chicken/poultry concentrations.

Chicken TV:
https://www.bnnvara.nl/zembla/tags/2023+uitzending

My broody lost one of her eggs! They were marked w sharpie so I would know if anyone else laid in her nest (happens sometimes), and I pulled a few eggs out today and was left with 4….double checked all the eggs in my basket, no sharpie. Looked all around the nest and the area in the coop next to it and did not find it. Very odd…wondering if somehow it broke and they ate it? But no remnants anywhere…watch me find it somewhere this spring when I’m full-cleaning the coop.

Back
Top Bottom