Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

It isn't just the scab that is the problem. The infection is under the scab. The infection is a hard pus-filled "kernel" or lump. Sometimes you get lucky and the infection is all in one piece. If not, there will be several small bits of it

Once the scab softens, you need to try squeezing the foot pad around the scab to see if anything is ready to come out. Don't squeeze really hard or poke or prod. If the infection isn't ready to come out, you will push it further into the foot and you don't want that.

Apply antibiotic solution after the squeeze and soak attempt. If nothing comes out, repeat the soaking for 3 more days and try again.

Of the original five pullets I started chicken keeping with 3 years ago, three of them had bumblefoot when I bought them. As a "wanna-be chicken mom" I didn't know what to look for at the time. Cleo's was the worst, and in both feet. I managed to heal one hen without cutting out the abscess, the other 2 required surgery. And I still have my incredible Cleo, and we're still battling her bumblefoot three years later. Just to let you know it might not be a simple or easy thing to treat.

meet Fez
P1120454.JPG

well, yes and no. I went on holiday 2nd week of May, and the person looking after the chooks reported that Polka had sat in the corner flower pot the whole time. There was just the one egg that she'd laid after we left and before the broody hormones turned off the laying, and given she'd already done 9 days by the time we got back, I let her continue. Conditions were far from ideal - the pot has no protection from predators, for example, and is dry as a bone (it hasn't rained here for 22 days and counting), but I'm glad for her sake it wasn't all for nothing. I'll need to move them tonight to one of the coops.

well, yes and no. I went on holiday 2nd week of May, and the person looking after the chooks reported that Polka had sat in the corner flower pot the whole time. There was just the one egg that she'd laid after we left and before the broody hormones turned off the laying, and given she'd already done 9 days by the time we got back, I let her continue. Conditions were far from ideal - the pot has no protection from predators, for example, and is dry as a bone (it hasn't rained here for 22 days and counting), but I'm glad for her sake it wasn't all for nothing. I'll need to move them tonight to one of the coops.
Of all the places she could have sat on her egg!

Back
Top Bottom