Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

My coops are typically close together to make a sort of village or street, e.g.
4 coops.JPG

the roos occasionally chase each other but don't fight (because the weaker can run away) and the occupants of each coop are not consistent, which is why I refer to my flock as one. It has not split into subsets despite multiple coops and roos.

View attachment 3610095
the roos occasionally chase each other but don't fight (because the weaker can run away) and the occupants of each coop are not consistent, which is why I refer to my flock as one. It has not split into subsets despite multiple coops and roos.
Ffs Perris, you're a one person Nestera advertisment.:D

At the farm we have two groups, in two big sheds. One is our 2-year old hens and the second our 1-year old hens. Both roosters, Ernie & Bert, we currently have are brothers, look almost identical, and were originally in together with the 1-year olds as they are all the same age (boys were hatched with a few of the females, others were pullet chicks, all brooded together.)

This spring, Bert started wandering toward the shed with the older ladies. He was gentle yet persistent. He now roosts with them, and they each have their own ladies. We laugh that there is an invisible line between the two groups. There is one big water bucket along that line that both groups will drink out of, but otherwise they eat and drink separately. Occasionally one of the more docile younger hens will jump in the older girls nest boxes to lay an egg. The boys will face off if they end up together at the line on occasion, but it is all just show. They are fantastic boys, not agressive, and seemingly keep the peace.

Three hours today and what a lovely afternoon; warm, sunny with a slight breeze.
I put an egg in the other nest box a couple of days ago in the hope that Carbon would take the hint and lay her eggs there instead of in with Frets eggs. I'm pleased to write it seems to have worked, or at least it worked today.
P8151908.JPG

Frets nest.
P8151907.JPG

I very carefully got Fret off her nest this afternoon for some food and a stretch and forage. I'm usually careful, but at least some of the eggs are getting close to hatching time now.
I slide both hands either side of Frets body and without lifting I slide my fingers under her wings to make sure there are no eggs wedged under there. I've lifted hens off their eggs in the past, only to have an egg drop out from under a wing. Not a good thing to happen. Then I lift her enough to feel under her body and check under there for any eggs that may have stuck to her. Only once I'm certain the eggs are all in the nest do I lift her out. Fret is very good about this and doesn't kick up a fuss and struggle which can also break eggs.

I popped into my local supermarket on the way to the allotments for some milk and ready made custard to go with the blackberries I've accumulated. While I was there I noticed some king prawns in the reduced section and bought a couple of packs, one for me and one for the chickens.:rolleyes:
I thought perhaps Fret would eat some even if she wouldn't eat much of the mash. I was right. She's got expensive broody tastes. Prawns and mature cheddar cheese are on the like list, seeds and mixed grains as well and so it seems are raspberries. It would work out cheaper just to have her come around for supper with me.
P8151910.JPG

P8151909.JPG

P8151911.JPG

P8151913.JPG

I've got yellow raspberries growing. They don't taste quite as nice as the red ones and I've never seen them before.
P8151912.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 3610095
I love the setup street you have.

While I was there I noticed some king prawns in the reduced section and bought a couple of packs, one for me and one for the chickens.:rolleyes:
I thought perhaps Fret would eat some even if she wouldn't eat much of the mash. I was right. She's got expensive broody tastes. Prawns and mature cheddar cheese are on the like list, seeds and mixed grains as well and so it seems are raspberries. It would work out cheaper just to have her come around for supper with me.
View attachment 3610211
:gig

In regards to feathering speeds on chicks, I'm pretty sure it is 99% genetic. There are slow feathering and fast feathering genes. The way it has gone with the chicks I have hatched, all my cockerels have feathered slower than the pullets UNLESS everyone feathered at the same speed. Now, that does not mean that's true for any other combination of genetics in your particular flocks. I also accidentally created silver/gold sex-links when I had Wendell as the father. I did not know all my hens I chose as genetic mothers were silver carriers and he was a gold carrier. Chicken genetics are crazy y'all.

On the topic of chicken genetics - here is Ginger Bonnet on her brood nest of 9 eggs.
20230816_115649.jpg

In regards to feathering speeds on chicks, I'm pretty sure it is 99% genetic. There are slow feathering and fast feathering genes. The way it has gone with the chicks I have hatched, all my cockerels have feathered slower than the pullets UNLESS everyone feathered at the same speed. Now, that does not mean that's true for any other combination of genetics in your particular flocks. I also accidentally created silver/gold sex-links when I had Wendell as the father. I did not know all my hens I chose as genetic mothers were silver carriers and he was a gold carrier. Chicken genetics are crazy y'all.

On the topic of chicken genetics - here is Ginger Bonnet on her brood nest of 9 eggs.
View attachment 3610386
What a nest!

I've got yellow raspberries growing. They don't taste quite as nice as the red ones and I've never seen them before.
I grew them; two observations: 1. the birds don't recognize them as raspberries either, at least for a few years, so you've a better chance of harvesting them without netting :p and 2. it's harder to tell when they're perfectly ripe than it is with the red ones.

Back
Top Bottom