Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

11am to 8pm with an hour lunch break. No rain and warm at 20C and very pleasant when the sun broke through the clouds.
They are all looking very contented together and very much like a family.
There are still problems getting the chicks into the coop at dusk but this evening Fret left going to roost till later and after Henry and Carbon and instead of rushing down the ramp when the chicks called, she sat right in the middle of the pop door where the chicks could see her and roosting calls rather than follow me calls. This worked after I had put the chicks on the lowest step and between us we got the chicks to climb the ramp. A learning curve for us all. Hopefully it will get easier from now on.
By the end of the day Fret is obviously tired.
P8212017.JPG

She works hard for the chicks. The chicks are making their own choices in the allotment run and I have only heard Fret make the don't eat that call a couple of times; once for some kind of spider and once for a piece of root from some plant or other.
There is still a steep learning curve to be climbed when out on the allotments due to the variety compared to the allotment run.
They rest as a group now and Henry watches the chicks and Fret much more than he did on the days before.
P8212014.JPG

P8212011.JPG

P8212012.JPG
P8212005.JPG
P8212014.JPG
P8212009.JPG

Fret resting next to me by the leg of my chair.
P8212016.JPG

Great to hear they are doing well as a group.
There are still problems getting the chicks into the coop at dusk but this evening Fret left going to roost till later and after Henry and Carbon and instead of rushing down the ramp when the chicks called, she sat right in the middle of the pop door where the chicks could see her and roosting calls rather than follow me calls. This worked after I had put the chicks on the lowest step and between us we got the chicks to climb the ramp. A learning curve for us all. Hopefully it will get easier from now on.
My experience: a week old, they all know. And you dont have to worry or assist anymore.

Maybe it helps if you confine Fret and the chicks in the coop for an hour or two, with some chick mash.
I have only heard Fret make the don't eat that call a couple of times; once for some kind of spider and once for a piece of root from some plant or other.
Wow, never noticed this. Nice to know.

11am to 8pm with an hour lunch break. No rain and warm at 20C and very pleasant when the sun broke through the clouds.
They are all looking very contented together and very much like a family.
View attachment 3616099

She works hard for the chicks. The chicks are making their own choices in the allotment run and I have only heard Fret make the don't eat that call a couple of times; once for some kind of spider and once for a piece of root from some plant or other.
There is still a steep learning curve to be climbed when out on the allotments due to the variety compared to the allotment run.
They rest as a group now and Henry watches the chicks and Fret much more than he did on the days before.
View attachment 3616103

View attachment 3616109

View attachment 3616100View attachment 3616101View attachment 3616103View attachment 3616105

Fret resting next to me by the leg of my chair.
View attachment 3616111
I truly wish I had gotten the chance to watch Skeksis raise some chicks. She only went broody once in her 4 yrs of life. I let her sit on a decent number of eggs when she did, but they all went bad.

I also prefer books and often write my thoughts into the margins.

There are lots of studies finding paper supports comprehension more effectively than screens, especially for explanatory text. Too many papers to list but here's one to think about.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...screens_A_systematic_review_and_meta-analysis
I completely agree with that. I think the light of the screen interferes with absorption and I think it is worse for my old eyes. I like the tactile feel of a book, the weight, the paper, the physical act of turning a page. I also still write notes, on paper, with a pen, this simple act improves my retention of information with almost perfect recall. (and I work for a specialty software company..lol work is digital, but I prefer to live in analog. ;))

I completely agree with that. I think the light of the screen interferes with absorption and I think it is worse for my old eyes. I like the tactile feel of a book, the weight, the paper, the physical act of turning a page. I also still write notes, on paper, with a pen, this simple act improves my retention of information with almost perfect recall. (and I work for a specialty software company..lol work is digital, but I prefer to live in analog. ;))
I too have a paper weekly planner and prefer to write notes on paper, with a pencil not a pen. It definitely help my recall but I certainly couldn't claim near perfect recall! Short term and working memory are NOT my strong suits.

Paprika has gone broody now, and I'm tempted to let her sit on some of her and her sisters' eggs, because
1. the Pennies turned 2 at the end of June and I have no offspring from any of them bar wild child Fez - who's 12 weeks old today btw
2. while Killay is the dom, and he's 50% Penny, we have the only opportunity we're going to get to preserve this rare breed's genes in a strain that was only one generation removed from the foundation stock in Spain. He is at closest (I don't know whether Phoenix was full brother or not) nephew to the Penny girls. The eggs are still are good dark brown, even at the end of the season after 8 months' laying, and this is one of the chief desiderata of the breed.
3. If the other Z chromosome gets passed on instead, any pullet should be an olive egger, which would be nice :p And
4. Eve's broody hormone has finally switched off (she went broody 20th July), so everyone else can lay in comfort in old coop again :lol:

Last edited:
Paprika has gone broody now, and I'm tempted to let her sit on some of her and her sisters' eggs, because
1. the Pennies turned 2 at the end of June and I have no offspring from any of them bar wild child Fez - who's 12 weeks old today btw
2. while Killay is the dom, and he's 50% Penny, we have the best opportunity we're going to get to preserve this rare breed's genes in a strain that was only one generation removed from the foundation stock in Spain. He is at closest (I don't know whether Phoenix was full brother or not) nephew to the Penny girls. The eggs are still are good dark brown, even at the end of the season after 8 months' laying, and this is one of the chief desiderata of the breed.
3. If the other Z chromosome gets passed on instead, any pullet should be an olive egger, which would be nice :p And
4. Eve's broody hormone has finally switched off (she went broody 20th July), so everyone else can lay in comfort in old coop again :lol:
That's a lot of temptation!

Back
Top Bottom