Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

View attachment 3625159
Both the fruit pulp and seed are edible. (The pulp is mainly sugars/carbohydrate and tastes like a custard and is creamy.) If you take the protein content of the pulp and the seeds, naturally the percentage of protein overall is lower. If you take just the seeds, the percentage of protein is close to 30% -- with very impressive vitamin and mineral content as well.

Iron and especially copper are high, so the seeds must be used in the right amounts for chickens. My friend in Belize has a recipe for a corn, plantain and breadnut mash he's been using for over ten years to good effect.
can I just plead that the figures are easier to process and compare if the 'serving size' is set to 100g rather than a cup.

can I just plead that the figures are easier to process and compare if the 'serving size' is set to 100g rather than a cup.
Indeed. If we could stick to content per 100 grams then overall percentages are easy to work with. It's the overall percentage that's important, not what there may be in a serving.

I've had another look at breadnut and 9 percent, or 9 grams per hundred grams is what I find. While it may have lots of nutrients it is woefully lacking in protein. Ideally one needs foodstuffs over 20 grams per hundred protein content to offset the lower percentage constituents of the rest of the feed.

We had some high winds and sheets of rain.

We are fine.

I'd rather deal with a hurricane than a tornado.
Glad you are unscathed. I choose to live where there are neither hurricanes nor tornadoes!

What did they eat and how were they kept?
All my girls have been raised and live the same. The coop is an old 10'x12' horse stall with 1/2" hardware cloth over all openings. The auto door opens and closes with daylight into the barn alley 8'x50'. There is a door around the corner on the north end that is always open enough for the alpacas so push it open or the chickens to pass through. They have access to a fenced acre (which includes a pond about 50'x25'). For whatever reason, most of them wait for me to open the barn doors on the south side in the morning.

Feed: starter then grower then layer. Though now that I have Zeus (4ish (?) month old EE cockerel) I have switched back to grower. The girls have always had oyster shell available. In the morning the 20 of them share a 5 oz can of BOSS along with their commercial feed. They also get kitchen scraps. In the afternoon they get 5 oz of scratch with their commercial feed. They forage as much as they like all day long.

When dusk arrives they head back to the coop on their own for the night, I close it up and close the south barn door later.

The girls that I found dead without obvious cause were different breeds and different hatch years. All came from hatcheries as day olds.

Tax - Zeus. He mostly hangs in the barn alley during the day, still staying away from the girls. He has been on the roost on his own the last 5 nights, always in a different spot

Attachments

• IMG_1142.jpeg
    IMG_1142.jpeg
    640.3 KB · Views: 12
Just wanted to post an update. The 3 chicks my broody hatched a few months ago all appear to be pullets! 😳 What are the chances? Here are a couple of pics:

The young ones choose to eat their breakfast in the covered run, while my older ladies head out to the feeder in the big fenced garden area. After the littles eat, they tend to roost on the dog crate I have just decided to leave there for a bit since I’ve had to break a broody so many times this summer! At max capacity until next year at least…

Attachments

• 236CD68D-41DE-45D7-9C8C-7EA2B6178EEA.jpeg
    236CD68D-41DE-45D7-9C8C-7EA2B6178EEA.jpeg
    507.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 60094ED2-67AC-49F6-A724-70E20513189C.jpeg
    60094ED2-67AC-49F6-A724-70E20513189C.jpeg
    282.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 99CB2332-E06F-4638-832D-B30D2EF4C41F.jpeg
    99CB2332-E06F-4638-832D-B30D2EF4C41F.jpeg
    524.3 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom