Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

That sounds better than isolating him.

I can imagine how well that would go over here...
I live in the country, "jerks" is sometimes interchangeable with other words..lol

I love my boys and can't imagine keeping chickens without them. Other than the moments of hormonal insanity, they are so good with the ladies, protective, attentive, charming. Your little guy will mature and be amazing.

I live in the country, "jerks" is sometimes interchangeable with other words..lol

I love my boys and can't imagine keeping chickens without them. Other than the moments of hormonal insanity, they are so good with the ladies, protective, attentive, charming. Your little guy will mature and be amazing.
I figured you live in the country.

I like the rooster most of the time. He keeps them quiet. Mine probably needs a few more system updates to fix the problem.

View attachment 3781989
@Shadrach or anyone else who has any ideas as to what to do with this problem.

We have that rooster. He's been ripping out the head feathers on the ones he mates the most, and now seems to be yanking the heads just for fun. He's also harassing the others that he doesn't always bestow his attentions on. Anything we can do to stop this behavior? Beetov-hen seems to have been not feeling well lately and we think it's because of this.
What is wrong with your hens feathers? They look damp and matted together.
From reading ahead it seems you don't have a rooster, you have a cockerel.
I'll get back to this when I've got more time.

Rather grey and still feeling damp although it didn't rain this afternoon.
Two hours today and that was only just. Major delays on my normal bus route.
I seem to be unreasonably busy. Too much stuff going on that isn't chicken related.
P3260467.JPG
P3260468.JPG

This is Dig about to try and drage Carbon off the perch.
P3260469.JPG

This Henry who came out of the coop to sort Dig out. Dig is legging it in the picture.
P3260470.JPG

P3260471.JPG

I was putting petroleum jelly( vaseline) on on her head to help the peaking.
And yes he is a cockerel.

My Dad insists on vasline since she's also getting cut up on her head from all the feather pulling.

Cockerel is almost a year old now. I still call him that.

Thank you.

(FYI CCsGarden is my sister).

Not sure what needs to be done, but probably something. We had a cockerel or rooster, I forget which, that was feather pulling on the head like that, and I didn't think it was serious until he scalped one of my girls. I isolated her until she healed, which she did, although I wasn't sure she would, as it was a horrifying-looking wound, and we isolated him from the flock permanently! I will pay double tax if Shadrack disagrees with me.

Back
Top Bottom