Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Three incubator chicks have been placed under Rahab, who's been trying to hatch two plastic eggs for almost three weeks.
IMG_20240524_203338002~2.jpg

IMG_20240524_203645740.jpg

Half an hour this morning. Did I mention I'm knackered?:p
Two and a half hours this afternoon.

The app on my phone tells me I've done 12000 steps today. I spent most of the afternoon at the field weeding. Weeding just isn't the same without Henry by my side helping; it's a lot quicker though.:lol:
View attachment 3842836View attachment 3842837
Weeding is good exercise and therapy!

Yup. It is growing season so there are people coming and going. When Fret sat last it was October and by then the field has gone very quiet. Everybody thinks the the chicks are cute. The couple of people who said I was irrisponsible letting Fret hatch in the coop and seemed to believe one should stick them in a broody box in a house, have seen the light.:rolleyes: It's difficult to not appreciate just how much the chicks are learning out and about compared to those kept in a broody box. You don't see mum attacking rats and other birds who get to close in a broody box.:p

I'm going to sound awfully conservative but there is something that just looks right when you see mum, dad, a couple of aunts maybe, daughters and sons. True, this phase doesn't last forever but I find it amazing to watch.
I may not know much about chickens but there is something right about watching Fret raise her chicks. I worry that Bub-bub has missed out on a lot being hand reared although I’m constantly amazed by how well he does despite that.
If it takes a village to raise a child then surely the chicken equivalent is it takes a tribe to raise a clutch? Seems the whole family are learning from Fret raising chicks even if it means that Henry can’t hang out with you, Shad :p
I mean no disrespect to anyone who uses incubators or raises chicks in other ways, everyone’s circumstances are unique & not everyone has a Fret and a Henry

Do I see that Fret and the chicks have no nest and sit on the bare floor? To avoid red mite?

Looks uncomfortable to me.
I would add something like a cardboard box bottom with a bit of sand/hay/shavings for them.

If you change it weekly mites get no chance to multiply in it.

You should see Agathae. She's the smallest chook I have.
This requires a photo to get smitten 🤩 !

Back
Top Bottom