Shadrach's Lamps

Pics
I've liked every lamp I've made bar two. Making things by hand means I put a small part of me into the work. I haven't yet got to the point where I'm turning out product. When I feel as if I'm getting to that point I stop making them. This can prove a bit awkward if a fair is imminent.:p
Sometimes I make something I think is exceptional. I get the right wood, the right head space and it all comes together.
I'm pleased to write it happens more often than my skill deserves.
I've recently made a lamp for someone and it was one such lamp. While it is a simple lamp it just has that look and feel about it. I will ask if I can post pictures of it.
The lamp below is another. It just came together at a reasonable pace and ended up looking lovely imo.
This lamp is called Transformer. (the back is sort of natural and the front very much not)
View attachment 2169989View attachment 2169990View attachment 2169991View attachment 2169992View attachment 2169993View attachment 2169994
The grain in "Tiger" is amazing 😲.

I love the twist and flow in "Transformer". It is almost like a very, very viscous liquid. Syrup perhaps 🤔

I've liked every lamp I've made bar two. Making things by hand means I put a small part of me into the work. I haven't yet got to the point where I'm turning out product. When I feel as if I'm getting to that point I stop making them. This can prove a bit awkward if a fair is imminent.:p
Sometimes I make something I think is exceptional. I get the right wood, the right head space and it all comes together.
I'm pleased to write it happens more often than my skill deserves.
I've recently made a lamp for someone and it was one such lamp. While it is a simple lamp it just has that look and feel about it. I will ask if I can post pictures of it.
The lamp below is another. It just came together at a reasonable pace and ended up looking lovely imo.
This lamp is called Transformer. (the back is sort of natural and the front very much not)
View attachment 2169989View attachment 2169990View attachment 2169991View attachment 2169992View attachment 2169993View attachment 2169994

'Transformer' indeed - a different lamp from every side yet they belong together. For me there would be no front, sides or back. I would turn it daily and have four different yet same lamps - genius !

:confused:
This lamp is called Balance. I was lucky enough to find a decent piece of Box wood on the stump end of a broken tree. There was only a relatively small section that hadn't rotted. Box is fantastic wood for construction. It has a lot of the qualities of Ash. Not much of it grows here into large trees. The weights inside the cups are Alzina and the lighter pieces of wood are beech.
This is one of the lamps that people like to look at but can't see in their living rooms. So, I've got it on display in my living room.:p

P4060255.JPG
P4060254.JPG
P3070530.JPG
P3070529.JPG
P3070528.JPG
P3070527.JPG
P3070526.JPG
P3070525.JPG
P3070524.JPG
P3070522.JPG
P3070521.JPG

This is one of the lamps that people like to look at but can't see in their living rooms. So, I've got it on display in my living room.
Very nice ... and balanced ;)
It looks like the glass parts could have an alternate pair in which one could put short fat candles for when the power is out (or for ambiance).

This is the progress on Totem and Ent.
I've had some inspiration on what to do with the block in the middle at last.
I got given a large trunk from a cherry tree yesterday that hasn't had the usual round of parasites bore through it. I'll be interested to see what it's like to work with.
P6013775.JPG
P6013776.JPG
P6033784.JPG
P6033785.JPG
P6033786.JPG

Back
Top Bottom