Shakey Ducklings

I just want to mention shaking that is normal for first time duck Mommas. My adults will vibrate or shake their necks and heads. That is normal. Mine do it when they are annoyed with one of the other ducks. It means get out of my way most of the time. But as previous posters have mentioned, shaking in the legs is not normal.:D

I just want to mention shaking that is normal for first time duck Mommas. My adults will vibrate or shake their necks and heads. That is normal. Mine do it when they are annoyed with one of the other ducks. It means get out of my way most of the time. But as previous posters have mentioned, shaking in the legs is not normal.:D

This is good to know. I occasionally have noticed the whole body tremble when I pick them up and I figure they may be nervous or chilled sometimes. The knee joint though seems something else entirely. In case it may help someone who read this thread later, my duckling previously showed signs of weakness in her legs. She would frequently sit back on her elbows to rest (or fall back to her elbows) instead of standing. That has stopped, but now she gets the vibration of the leg from time to time. She continues to eat, drink, poop, and grow, as well as grow healthy feathers and otherwise looks and acts completely normal. The shaking only happens when standing, not when sitting or swimming. It's like she reaches the point of exhaustion quickly. I get a shaky kneecap myself after a long hike or a run or something; I imagine it's similar.

This is good to know. I occasionally have noticed the whole body tremble when I pick them up and I figure they may be nervous or chilled sometimes. The knee joint though seems something else entirely. In case it may help someone who read this thread later, my duckling previously showed signs of weakness in her legs. She would frequently sit back on her elbows to rest (or fall back to her elbows) instead of standing. That has stopped, but now she gets the vibration of the leg from time to time. She continues to eat, drink, poop, and grow, as well as grow healthy feathers and otherwise looks and acts completely normal. The shaking only happens when standing, not when sitting or swimming. It's like she reaches the point of exhaustion quickly. I get a shaky kneecap myself after a long hike or a run or something; I imagine it's similar.
yeah I thought so. I first started to notice the shaking when I would pick one up, I thought they were just nervous to be held. Then I noticed the shaking in the leg and that’s what concerned men I’m glad I’ve fixed the problem. I appreciate everyone’s input

Yep that is exactly what my Pekins did also. I’m pretty sure niacin helps the body build muscle and strong bones which would make sense that they would shake if they were deficient. I’m glad yours are doing better!

Back
Top Bottom