Shaking Chicken and feather loss

Barb1

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 13, 2014
My 2 year old Chantecler has been losing feathers which we thought was due to molting. Today she looked really bare and is
shaking. The other chickens won't let her near the food. We separated her so she can eat. They didn't seem to be pecking her, just
blocking her from the food. Any ideas as to what may be wrong?
Thank you in advance for your input.
Barb

I have the same problem with a 1-1/2 yr old Barred Rock. She was beautiful now she is almost naked. Is it common for the flock to suddenly turn on one they were raised with? Or could it be something else as in lice or mites?

i know some one who had a buff orpington and they shed all of a sudden just give them food and the feathers should grow back good luck

and welcome to the flock
welcome-byc.gif

Chickens molt in the fall, anytime from late summer into early winter. Sometimes it's a light molt, sometimes they become nearly naked. If temps are very cold and a chicken is in heavy molt it is best to bring them in where it's warmer until they start getting their feathers back.

In a situation where low ranking birds are being chased away from the feeder you need to have more then one feeder and waterer.

Back
Top Bottom