Share how you prepare your turkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I love AB. I use a lot of his recipes for my daughter. Pancake mix, waffle mix, hot chocolate, chocolate syrup........... Dozens of them(but can't use anyting "fancy" or no one will eat it). The doctors and all their test are still saying my daughters stomach problems are "undiagnosed" but I think with my tests that it is something in the processed food. The homemade stuff has stopped most of her problems.

If turkey was store frozen, we thaw for a week in the fridge. Then once thawed or fully rested if fresh, we coat it in eye balled mixture that has maybe half cup of soy sauce, 4tbs garlic, 2 tbs ginger, a few dashes of ansie, a few dozen dashes of cinnamon, a few tbs of honey, a few splashes of cognac, a drizzle of hoisin sauce, a bit of 5 spice and diced onion. Then this coated turkey sits out at room temp for 4-5 hours before being popped into a 425 oven for 30 minutes, then temp is lowered to 350 till done. It gets flipped from breast up to the back up 2 hours in or so, and then 30 min before it is done, it goes breast up again. Whole turkey is diced up and put into a tray to be served along side dishes like roast duck, roast pork, fried rice, stirfry, chicken and maybe fish.

Quote:
Not knowing what is wrong is the worst. I have been having lots of pain in my abdomen for 6 weeks now. I have never felt anything like this before. I don't think it is food related for me. I still am getting test every week but nothing so far. I have a autoimmune disease and often more than one go together. Its probable just my own body attacking me. So far the only thing that has helped is Aloe Vera Juice.

I have tried Gulten Free/Vegan Diet to help with my inflamation but it is so hard. I can't do it for long.

Last edited:
I use a brine much like the one Terri posted and then roast that puppy in a bag. The next time we process though we're going to part those turkeys out like an old chevy so the kids can have drumsticks on the grill and old Ma and Pa can do a nicely seasoned breast in foil.

Quote:
Not knowing what is wrong is the worst. I have been having lots of pain in my abdomen for 6 weeks now. I have never felt anything like this before. I don't think it is food related for me. I still am getting test every week but nothing so far. I have a autoimmune disease and often more than one go together. Its probable just my own body attacking me. So far the only thing that has helped is Aloe Vera Juice.

I have tried Gulten Free/Vegan Diet to help with my inflamation but it is so hard. I can't do it for long.

That stinks. Hope its just gas! I couldn't live as a vegan. I just don't like veggies that much...... The lady across the street was a vegan last year. This year she helped me process all my chickens and 2 of the turkeys. I've throughly corrupted her!

Actually her doctor told her she was malnurished and need meat. She decided that if she was going to eat meat then she needed to be responsible for its well being and processing. She can't raise them as she is afraid she would get attatched (and her husband doesn't want to mess with it) so this year she helped me with mine and next year I am going to raise some for her.

We tried the gluten free diet on her for a while but it didn't help. With my experiments I think it is some kind(s) of presertavitives. I can buy something in the store and it hurts her and then make the exact same thing at home and it doesn't bother her, especially the junk food. I can't quite get AB's potato chips right, the edges are crisp and the middle is still uncooked or soft.

Last edited:
Quote:

That stinks. Hope its just gas! I couldn't live as a vegan. I just don't like veggies that much...... The lady across the street was a vegan last year. This year she helped me process all my chickens and 2 of the turkeys. I've throughly corrupted her!

Actually her doctor told her she was malnurished and need meat. She decided that if she was going to eat meat then she needed to be responsible for its well being and processing. She can't raise them as she is afraid she would get attatched (and her husband doesn't want to mess with it) so this year she helped me with mine and next year I am going to raise some for her.

Alot of vegans do not know how to eat and get all the nutrients they need. Its because health is not what motivated them. Sounds like she had a moral reason she was on a vegan diet. I have no moral reason. Its just you produce more inflamation from meat. I am a health nut but I also love food too much to give up meat and gulten. It does not leave you much to eat. I guess I am not in that much pain to give me the motivation to stick with the diet I should eat.

couple of cored but NOT peeled apples into the cavity.

I like that flavor myself, the turkey gets just that hint of apple taste.

The next time we process though we're going to part those turkeys out like an old chevy so the kids can have drumsticks on the grill and old Ma and Pa can do a nicely seasoned breast in foil.

It saves alot of freezer space as well. We started putting the drumsticks in the pressure cooker 15 minutes at 15 pounds then taking that meat and bagging and freezing it. it makes great taco and enchilada filling or use it is in a casserole.

Steve​

Last edited:
I'm really hungry now...
droolin.gif

This recipe was pictured on the cover of Bon Appetit in 2002.

Molasses-Brined Turkey with Gingersnap Gravy
Bon Appétit | November 2002

yield: Makes 12 to 14 servings

Brining ensures moist, succulent meat, and this recipe from Bruce Aidells, chef and founder of Aidells Sausage Company, could not be easier or... more ›

IngredientsStock
5 cups low-salt chicken broth
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 large celery stalks, chopped
1 onion, halved
2 small bay leaves
Neck, heart, and gizzard reserved from 18- to 20-pound turkey

Brine and turkey
1 18- to 20-pound turkey
7 quarts water
2 cups coarse salt (about 9 ounces)
1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
2 bunches fresh thyme
1 bunch fresh sage
2 quarts ice cubes

2 large onions, halved
1 head of garlic, halved horizontally
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage

4 cups (about) low-salt chicken broth

Gravy
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
20 gingersnap cookies, coarsely crumbled (about 1 3/4 cups)
3 to 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup whipping cream (optional)
print a shopping list for this recipe

PreparationFor stock:
Combine broth, carrots, celery, onion, and bay leaves in large saucepan. Add reserved neck, heart, and gizzard. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until stock is reduced to 3 1/4 cups, about 1 hour. Strain turkey stock into medium bowl. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover stock and refrigerate.)

For brine and turkey:
Line very large (about 16-quart) bowl with two 30-gallon plastic bags, one inside the other. Rinse turkey inside and out. Place turkey in plastic-lined bowl. Combine 7 quarts water, salt, sugar, molasses, 1 bunch thyme, and 1/2 bunch sage in large bowl or pot. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve. Mix in ice cubes. Pour brine over turkey in plastic bags. Gather tops of bags together, eliminating air space above brine; seal bags. Refrigerate turkey in brine 18 to 20 hours.

Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 350°F. Remove turkey from brine. Drain very well; discard brine. Pat turkey dry inside and out. Place turkey on small rack set in large roasting pan. Fill main cavity with remaining 1 bunch thyme and 1/2 bunch sage, onions, and garlic. Stir oil, pepper, chopped thyme, and chopped sage in small bowl to form paste; smear all over outside of turkey. Tuck wing tips under; tie legs together loosely to hold shape.

Roast turkey 1 hour, tenting loosely with foil if browning quickly. Turn pan around; roast turkey 30 minutes. Pour 1 cup broth over turkey; re-tent loosely with foil. Roast turkey, basting with 1 cup broth every 30 minutes until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F, about 2 hours longer. Transfer turkey to platter. Remove vegetables and herbs from main cavity and discard. Spoon any juices from cavity into roasting pan. Let turkey stand 30 minutes (internal temperature will increase 5 to 10 degrees).

For gravy:
Strain pan juices into bowl. Spoon off fat, reserving 2 tablespoons. Heat reserved 2 tablespoons turkey fat in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and thyme. Sauté until onion browns, about 10 minutes. Add turkey stock, gingersnaps, 3 tablespoons cider vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Add 2 cups degreased pan juices and bring to boil, whisking to dissolve gingersnaps. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until gravy thickens, about 4 minutes. Season gravy to taste with salt and pepper, adding remaining tablespoon vinegar and cream, if desired.

Serve turkey with gravy.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...ey-with-Gingersnap-Gravy-107284#ixzz12LzNiGjX

This is a basic Shish Kabob recipe from Weber BBQ's. It works for beef, chicken and turkey. I have even doubled it and marinaded a whole turkey for the BBQ. Its works really good if you wrap the whole bird in foil the last half of cooking time so it does not over brown. You can cutom the mix to your taste. I add green onion and toasted seseame seed if I feel the need to add something. I also change the juice if I don't have pineapple juice in the house. Concentated apple cider or tangerine work great too. The pineapple juice does smell great when it cooks.

Shish Kabob Marinade
Yield: 8 Servings

Ingredients

1 c low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c pineapple juice
1/2 c vinegar
2 ts salt
1/2 ts garlic powder

Instructions

In a small saucepan combine soy sauce, brown sugar, pineapple juice,
vinegar, salt, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Allow to cool. Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to use. Use
to marinate beef. Makes about 2 cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom