Share Pics of your Farm Dogs

Quote:
See that black spot on Zoe's tongue? that's a SURE sign of chow mix. She is really pretty though!

Not necessarily true. About the tongue, that is. She definitely IS pretty! Following quote from the web:

The Chow is NOT the only dog with a black tongue, I always argue with my aunt about this... the fact is all dogs have common ancestors and any dog can have a black tongue as long as they have the genes for it. Sometimes they have spotted tongues, or half black tongues etc.

The Truth About
Those Black Tongues

Does the black spot on your Labrador's tongue mean he's really a Chow mix? That mixed breed puppy in the shelter with a partially black tongue -- is that a sure sign he's part Chow? The answer to both questions is: No!

The Chow Chow's blue-black tongue is one of the breed's most well known physical characteristics. It's also the most misunderstood.

The Chow is one of the most ancient breeds and is the ancestor of many breeds of today. The orgin of the Chow's black tongue is a mystery; we don't know how or why he came to have it.

We do know that the Chow is not the only breed with a blue-black tongue. The Chinese Shar-Pei shares this trait as well. A few other animals have black tongues, too: the giraffe, polar bear, and several breeds of cattle including the Jersey.

We also know that blue-black spots on tongues are very common in dogs - more than 30 pure breeds are known to have members with spotted tongues.

Spots on tongues are simply deposits of extra pigment, like birthmarks and freckles on people. Dogs often have spots of dark pigment on their skin, too, hiding under their coats. These spots can be large or small, many or few.

Source(s):

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/blackton…

Very informative- Thanks! I now know what to show my Mother whenever she discriminates against a dog because of a purple spot.
Now, if only I could convince her that it's not the breed, it's the owner
roll.png

Quote:
Not necessarily true. About the tongue, that is. She definitely IS pretty! Following quote from the web:

The Chow is NOT the only dog with a black tongue, I always argue with my aunt about this... the fact is all dogs have common ancestors and any dog can have a black tongue as long as they have the genes for it. Sometimes they have spotted tongues, or half black tongues etc.

The Truth About
Those Black Tongues

Does the black spot on your Labrador's tongue mean he's really a Chow mix? That mixed breed puppy in the shelter with a partially black tongue -- is that a sure sign he's part Chow? The answer to both questions is: No!

The Chow Chow's blue-black tongue is one of the breed's most well known physical characteristics. It's also the most misunderstood.

The Chow is one of the most ancient breeds and is the ancestor of many breeds of today. The orgin of the Chow's black tongue is a mystery; we don't know how or why he came to have it.

We do know that the Chow is not the only breed with a blue-black tongue. The Chinese Shar-Pei shares this trait as well. A few other animals have black tongues, too: the giraffe, polar bear, and several breeds of cattle including the Jersey.

We also know that blue-black spots on tongues are very common in dogs - more than 30 pure breeds are known to have members with spotted tongues.

Spots on tongues are simply deposits of extra pigment, like birthmarks and freckles on people. Dogs often have spots of dark pigment on their skin, too, hiding under their coats. These spots can be large or small, many or few.

Source(s):

Very informative- Thanks! I now know what to show my Mother whenever she discriminates against a dog because of a purple spot.
Now, if only I could convince her that it's not the breed, it's the owner
roll.png

Oh how right you are!!!!
thumbsup.gif

This is my farm dog Lexie. She is 8 months old now and is half Aussie and half Border Collie. I adopted her from a rescue in Alabama and the rescue has a van that transported her to PA.

At the farm for the first time
101_3543.jpg

Meeting some farm cats
101_3544.jpg

Exhausted from a day at the farm, she slept all the way home.
101_3547.jpg

My mom's friend just gave me a chubby little Lab mix puppy that she couldn't keep anymore. She's about 6 months old and seems to be great with the birds so far, a teeny curious but pretty much ignores them. I can't keep her but she's staying here until she finds a new home.
smile.png

5Y55O35U63n33kd3o2bacfb16ae72a4a215de.jpg

Mine aren't really farm dogs...they are couch potatoes...
tongue.png

But here are my gents and my lovely ladies.
Jack (Boo Bear, Jakers, Aboo!)
215564_1834216907687_1608368062_31794522_4004888_n.jpg

Syrih (She passed away in May.
sad.png
) ((Doodle Bear, Polar Bear, Punk, Punkneenernan))
263153_2060363001198_1608368062_32021156_3306406_n.jpg

Nausicaa (Newest addition) ((Pictured with Mom!)) (((Nausea)))
316117_2291630102731_1608368062_32281119_2132543443_n.jpg

Dante (Sir Shmoop, Professor Oopenstein)
67129_1631393717234_1608368062_31462955_2126760_n.jpg

Weezer! (Tweester Bunny, Tweezy, Witty Witty Woo)
225084_1067992632559_1608368062_30176462_6425929_n.jpg

We have a good time with the silly names around here...

Quote:
Zoe is GORGEOUS! Are you certain that she's a mix breed? Because she looks almost IDENTICAL to my Flat Coated Retriever, Roxie!

Oh, I honestly don't know. My cousin, who originally owned her, said she was a Chow mix, which I'm not exactly sure about anymore, but I went with it.
idunno.gif
I'm not really sure if she is anymore, since she doesn't look like a Chow, but I don't think it matters really.

Quote:
See that black spot on Zoe's tongue? that's a SURE sign of chow mix. She is really pretty though!

The Truth About
Those Black Tongues

Source(s):

That's probably why she has a spot on her tongue! Thanks for sharing, very informative!
big_smile.png

90637_p1040521.jpg

This BIG guy showed up on our ranch on Monday. Oh, Man, I hope he can stay FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom