Share Your Casserole Recipes

Bruce's Barbecued Eyeballs
From: SHHH! We're Cooking! Woburn Public Library Cookbook
My dh's recipe-they only look like eyeballs!

1lb lean ground beef (or ground turkey or chicken)
1/2 c old fashioned oatmeal
4 large onions
1 tsp ea garlic powder, oregano and rosemary
1 tbs hot sauce
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
your fave barbecue sauce

Peell 4 large onions and cut off ends. Boil or nuke until nearly soft.
Remove the centers and chop fine, leaving 4 onion "shells"
mix onions and all other ingredients except the bbq sauce to make a
meat loaf style stuffing. Stuff onion shells and top with bbq sauce. Bake
at 350 degrees 1/2 hour- 45 min. In a greased casserole of course!

I'm replying to this thread because I love casseroles!! I don't want to copy and save them all, cause then I'd forget about them. This way, I'll get a reminder once in a while
smile.png

OK. We definitely have to get this thread revivied and going!! So here is mine:

Mexican Cornbread Casserole
1-2lbs of hamburger meat
small onion, chopped
2 boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix
1 can creamed corn
2-3 finely chopped jalapenos
package of shredded cheddar or mexican blend cheese

Preheat oven to 350degrees. Brown hamburger meat with onion and season to taste with salt and garlic powder. Mix 2 boxes Jiffy cornbread according to package directions and add the can of creamed corn. Pour half of cornbread mix into casserole dish. (I use a smaller 8x11? dish for thicker casserole) pour hamburger meat over this, then sprinkle on jalapenos, then cheese. Finally pour remainder of cornbread mix on top. Bake at 350 for approx 30min or until cornbread browned. ENJOY!

We eat this all by itself or with some mexican corn. YES I KNOW!!! Carb city, but after reading this thread, this would be AWESOME with the frito salad a couple pages back!

Here are some favorite casseroles:

Green Chile Enchiladas serves 8 375 for 20-25 min.
1 1/2lbs. lean ground beef
3 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
3/4c fine chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 TB chili powder
1 1/2c sour cream
s&p
1 small can chopped green chiles
8 to 12 flour tortillas

Brown ground beef with onion, drain fat. Stir in chili powder, s&p. Spoon meat mixture and some grated cheese on each tortilla. Roll up, put in greased baking dish. Combine soup, sour cream and green chiles, spoon over enchiladas. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, top with more cheese, bake 10 minutes more.

Shepherd's Pie – from Jane Garmey’s Great British Cooking

3 TB oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 lbs. ground lamb or ground beef
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 heaped TB flour
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup water
salt and fresh ground black pepper
!/2 t. tarragon
3 large potatoes, peeled
3 oz. butter
1 cup milk
1/2 c. cooked corn
2 TB Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350F. Heat oil in large frying pan over low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Turn up heat and add meat, stirring until it is well browned. Drain off fat. Add tomato paste, cubes, and flour. Mix well and cook a minutes before adding the wine and water. Add in the s&p and tarragon, simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook and mash the potatoes. Add the butter and milk, season with s&p. Put the meat mixture in a large, greased soufflé or baking dish. Spread corn over the meat and the mashed potatoes on top so that the meat and corn are completely covered. Sprinkle the cheese over the potatoes and bake uncovered for 35 minutes. Place under broiler for a few minutes to brown the top and serve.

Pork and Apples with Stuffing – serves 12
4-lb. pork tenderloin slices
2 20oz cans sliced cooked apples or poach fresh apples until tender
1/2c brown sugar
6 c herb stuffing mix
1/2c chopped celery
1/4c melted butter
3 TB minced onion
1 t salt
1/2t sage
2 c beef broth

Trim fat from pork slices, brown slices in a little oil in skillet. Place slices as needed for each serving in a baking dish. Combine apples and sugar. Spoon over pork slices. Combine stuffing, celery, butter, onion, salt, sage and broth. Press stuffing into a 1/2c measure, unmold onto apple slices. Cover. May freeze at this point. Bake from frozen state at 400 for 1 1/4hours or until porktests done. Bake from unfrozen state at 375 for 1 hour.

Parson's Wife :

Hello,
I have some recipes, someone else may have some that they want to share:

This one is great for a quick fix for church socials,quick meal for company or your family.
Submit your casserole receipe's:

Chicken Dorito's Casserole

1 boiled, de-boned chicken ( I use chicken breasts)
1 can cream of chicken
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can of ro-tel
1 cup of chicken broth
8 oz of Sour Cream
1 large bag of Naco Cheese Chips
1 pkg of grated cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Spray casserole dish with Pam. Crush 3/4 or all of your bag of chips (nacho cheese flavored), depending on the size of your pan; and cover the bottom of your pan with the crushed chips. In a large sauce pan, mix: diced (or pulled) boiled chicken (de-boned), cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken, and can of ro-tel, mix well. Add 8oz of sour cream. Mix. Heat on medium till warm or slightly bubbly...
Pour mixture onto chips, top with cheese, cook till cheese melts (15 minutes) Serve hot, with salads, potatoes, and your choice of extra's.
**Edited to add: You can use ground chuck, or hamburger meat, instead of chicken.

I need to make this this week...
droolin.gif

I make a similar dish to the chicken doritos and it it YUMMY!! We call it mexican chicken.

Those recipes sound yummy. Dang! I can't decide what to cook for supper!!

Big Michael's Cheesy Chicken Bake

this was my dad's specialty... loved it as a kid and excellent and easy comfort food too.

my dad was a box-food kinda guy, so if you have home-made preferences to replace the box-kit parts, do use them.

one box family sized mac-and-cheese
one can condensed cream of chicken soup
one cup frozen peas
one large can canned chicken breast or cut up fresh cooked chicken breast
toasted bread crumbs

make the mac-and-cheese according to the instructions
mix in the condensed cream of chicken soup (undiluted), frozen peas, cooked chicken. stir over heat until peas and chicken are warmed through.
place in a baking dish, top with a nice layer of bread crumbs
place under the broiler until top of casserole is crispy.

serve with fresh baked buttermilk biscuits. or over them if you like.

perfect on a snowy day!

some variations...

- Top casserole with the buttermilk biscuit batter and bake following the instructions for the biscuits. I especially like this if you've added a bit of crumbled rosemary and sage to the biscuit batter.

- top with shredded cheese instead of bread crumbs (broil till cheese is starting to toast).

- top with pan-toasted sesame seeds

- line casserole dish with a pot-pie type pastry, and top with the same pastry

- serve as a side dish to hot grilled sandwiches

- cream of mushroom soup can be used instead of cream of chicken. sometimes I do this with some sour cream and mixed veges instead of peas.

- and I haven't tried this, but I've been thinking about working out some samples - same idea for the sauce (the -and-cheese part without the mac, using the cream of chicken soup), but layered with lasagna noodles, fresh spinach, fresh mushrooms, fresh cooked chicken breast, maybe riccotta cheese. and baked like lasagna.

dang it, now I'm hungry!
big_smile.png

clap.gif
I agree! Now I'm hungry!! I was planning on homemade soup and cornbread flitters tonight...oh, and Esau's corn...but now....
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom