Share your power outage experiences - is there hope?

One Acre Wonder Farm

Songster
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Vermont
So we lost power for 4+ hours overnight. Temp in the bator is reading 75
hit.gif

What were your hatch rates like after an experience like this?

Last edited:

jerseygirl1

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Orange County, NY
Well, I havent' had any yet despite the 24 + inches of snow right now - but another BYC'er about an hour from me, I haven't heard form her since late Wednesday, so that would make it over 24 hours.........She is in a well known area for power outages..............

Intheswamp

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
South Alabama
Quote:
I think you'll be ok, the eggs were still holding a higher temperature and the ambient temperature didn't get down to 75F instantly, it was a gradual drop. Give'em a chance.
smile.png

What day are they on?

Ed

One Acre Wonder Farm

Songster
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Vermont
Quote:
I think you'll be ok, the eggs were still holding a higher temperature and the ambient temperature didn't get down to 75F instantly, it was a gradual drop. Give'em a chance.
smile.png

What day are they on?

Ed

I set them last Friday afternoon. From reading posts on here I know/hope some will hatch
fl.gif

Schultz

CluckN'Crow Farm
11 Years
Aug 5, 2008
Indianapolis
We had a power outage and had a good hatch rate not 100% but still good. It was in the middle of winter and temps got to 60ish, our power was out for over 9 hours. It did cause a delay in hatch by a few days but all went well! Oh, and we were about 2 weeks into incubation. Good luck, I hope you have a good hatch!

IggiMom

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
West Virginia
Our power was out for 20+ hours (West Virginia). I had 8 eggs hatch out of about 40, and those were nice fertile eggs.

I did what I could to keep them warm, used hand warmers like the hunters use, but in covering up the incubator, I might have hurt the ventilation process. I don't know.

It was a little discouraging.

So of course, go ahead and try to hatch them, but you may lose some.

I have comforted myself with the thought that the ones that hatched should be really good, vigorous chicks!

Which they do seem to be.

Catherne

One Acre Wonder Farm

Songster
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Vermont
IggiMom - do you know which day you were on when you lost power?

I seem to remember reading in storey's guide to raising chickens that when the power went out you should let the eggs cool, rather than cover/try to insulate for the exact same reason iggimom mentions. But I've loaned the book out and can't look it up! Tho it sounds like lots of people cover/insulate when the power goes out. At any rate I didn't cover/insulate, maybe I should have?

I plan on candling tonight. This day is going by SO slowly......

Top Bottom