Share your power outage experiences - is there hope?

One Acre Wonder Farm

Songster
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Vermont
So we lost power for 4+ hours overnight. Temp in the bator is reading 75
hit.gif

What were your hatch rates like after an experience like this?

Last edited:
Well, I havent' had any yet despite the 24 + inches of snow right now - but another BYC'er about an hour from me, I haven't heard form her since late Wednesday, so that would make it over 24 hours.........She is in a well known area for power outages..............

Quote:
I think you'll be ok, the eggs were still holding a higher temperature and the ambient temperature didn't get down to 75F instantly, it was a gradual drop. Give'em a chance.
smile.png

What day are they on?

Ed

Quote:
I think you'll be ok, the eggs were still holding a higher temperature and the ambient temperature didn't get down to 75F instantly, it was a gradual drop. Give'em a chance.
smile.png

What day are they on?

Ed

I set them last Friday afternoon. From reading posts on here I know/hope some will hatch
fl.gif

We had a power outage and had a good hatch rate not 100% but still good. It was in the middle of winter and temps got to 60ish, our power was out for over 9 hours. It did cause a delay in hatch by a few days but all went well! Oh, and we were about 2 weeks into incubation. Good luck, I hope you have a good hatch!

Our power was out for 20+ hours (West Virginia). I had 8 eggs hatch out of about 40, and those were nice fertile eggs.

I did what I could to keep them warm, used hand warmers like the hunters use, but in covering up the incubator, I might have hurt the ventilation process. I don't know.

It was a little discouraging.

So of course, go ahead and try to hatch them, but you may lose some.

I have comforted myself with the thought that the ones that hatched should be really good, vigorous chicks!

Which they do seem to be.

Catherne

IggiMom - do you know which day you were on when you lost power?

I seem to remember reading in storey's guide to raising chickens that when the power went out you should let the eggs cool, rather than cover/try to insulate for the exact same reason iggimom mentions. But I've loaned the book out and can't look it up! Tho it sounds like lots of people cover/insulate when the power goes out. At any rate I didn't cover/insulate, maybe I should have?

I plan on candling tonight. This day is going by SO slowly......

Back
Top Bottom