Sharing nesting box

newchickgal

Songster
10 Years
Nov 17, 2009
Republic of Panama
My DH built a really nice coop for the our two laying hens, and they each have their own nesting box. When one goes in and lays and then leaves, then the other one goes in and uses the same nesting box, even if I haven't collected the egg yet! So now I have two eggs side by side when I go out to collect. Go figure!
roll.png

My hens all seem to like to lay eggs in the same place; as long as I collect them daily I have only had one broken egg in 2+ years

Oh yes, they will all do that. I have 4 very nice, roomy nesting boxes and all my girls lay in one. When i have broodies, they all try to be in the same one as well. They are always bickering...
roll.png

Just like every other thing chickens do they are the original copy cats. It's no wonder they like to lay eggs where the others have laid theirs. I have always said that (collectively) chickens are smart. That is to say, as a group they will survive longer than one on its own.
Notice that if one eats something they all want to eat that same thing, if one drinks out of a mud puddle then anyone around who sees it will drink out of the same mud puddle.
I have 6 nesting boxes and 15 girls. I have seen as many as three girls in one nesting box at the same time....go figure!

Back
Top Bottom