Shark snipers Wine dots NEW HATCHES and puppies 1/24/2011 update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I think it is a little green for your taste, but I have 6 more lav girls that are 4 weeks younger. If they give me any pretty blue eggs I'd be happy to enable you. I also have to move the blue and black cockerels out of that pen. It will probable happen in the next week as the pens were completed yesterday. I have 3 lav boys that should be sufficient.

Oh and Phage the DYer is fertile on day 3.
smile.png
I'll let you know if it's twins in a few days.

Cool on the DY front, and thanks for keeping an eye on the egg color of the lavs!

BTW I think I figured out the problem with the silkies. The Rcom LIES. It must have been on for a couple of days before setting as the eggs are actually not due to hatch till Friday. I just put them upright into egg cartons. Hope I did not shrink wrap them doing that.
Also briefly candled them in the carton for "size"
All 14 looked a good size but don't know if all alive.

Whew! That's good news. We need a better way to monitor those little suckers.

Quote:
I have Wheatens! Of course 3 pullets and 5 cockerals. They haven't started laying yet. But the eggs they hatched from were nice and blue...From AHappyChick. One Question though...Of the 5 cockerals, I think one is a blue wheaten. If I keep only one, should it be the blue or the regular wheaten. I can't really tell if any of the pullets are blue

edited for really crappy spelling...not enough coffee yet....

Last edited:
Quote:
Saw this and thought might jump in just in case it may be informative/useful- your chicks are genetically GL with dominant white added. DW has a strong effect on black and very little on red series pigments.. result on GL= black lacing 'turned' white and leaving the gold center mostly unaffected.

If you need new blood and can't get more BLB, just get nice GL.... sex doesn't matter. Or at least don't be afraid of going for real nice GL to help improve type or ??

Quote:
OK- "crele" is one of the spots that itch easily for me..

Crele IS barring on e+(aka red duckwing, black breasted red). No ifs or buts.

The massive confusion(and the "back and forth") is from people in general applying the name to barred birds showing any color other than "black and white". The inclination to name them crele is incredibly strong for some reason.... at the same time, most would not consider calling a light brahma a "white brahma". Or a columbian rock as a white rock, as Chris09 mentioned in that thread.

LOTS of 'creles' are actually genetic birchens(crowwings- no brown patch on secondaries) with barring. It's the brown/gold color on the hackles and saddles on roos that make them look colorful like a crele, but, going along with the same concept why not call columbians "white"(hey, they are mostly white anyways...)? Calling them for what they are, like Barred birchens or just coming up with a new name for this gene combination would help a lot.

It is possible to make very crele looking roos using wheaten or partridge, as those have the black breasts plus the duckwing patch on wing. It actually will be almost impossible to tell a barred wheaten roo from a 'true' crele roo. Hens will be plainly different from crele hens. So if there are good wheatens or partridges in cochins, those would be excellent stock to outcross with, keeping in mind the hens will look very different.

Quote:
OK- "crele" is one of the spots that itch easily for me..

Crele IS barring on e+(aka red duckwing, black breasted red). No ifs or buts.

The massive confusion(and the "back and forth") is from people in general applying the name to barred birds showing any color other than "black and white". The inclination to name them crele is incredibly strong for some reason.... at the same time, most would not consider calling a light brahma a "white brahma". Or a columbian rock as a white rock, as Chris09 mentioned in that thread.

LOTS of 'creles' are actually genetic birchens(crowwings- no brown patch on secondaries) with barring. It's the brown/gold color on the hackles and saddles on roos that make them look colorful like a crele, but, going along with the same concept why not call columbians "white"(hey, they are mostly white anyways...)? Calling them for what they are, like Barred birchens or just coming up with a new name for this gene combination would help a lot.

It is possible to make very crele looking roos using wheaten or partridge, as those have the black breasts plus the duckwing patch on wing. It actually will be almost impossible to tell a barred wheaten roo from a 'true' crele roo. Hens will be plainly different from crele hens. So if there are good wheatens or partridges in cochins, those would be excellent stock to outcross with, keeping in mind the hens will look very different.

What would you cross for a crele cochin? I don't really care if it takes a while to perfect, I don't plan on dropping off any time soon.
smile.png

So...

I just went out, reached into the nest box to get eggs and one of my new Partridge Cochin Hens was dead in the nestbox!!! Everyone was fine yesterday afternoon. WTH!?!?!? I did not see them this morning because I was out the door before they came out. I swear I can't win for losing this year. I searched her over and didn't see a single thing wrong, no eye discharge, no nose discharge, no wounds, she didn't feel like an egg might have been stuck and I would think I would have notice if she was egg bound, wouldn't it take much longer than 24 hours?!?!?! I have no idea what just happened...

I checked everyone else out and they appear fine. The partridge are in there own pen, so no exposure to any other bird. Everyone has the same feed.
barnie.gif
and
hu.gif

Quote:
I have Wheatens! Of course 3 pullets and 5 cockerals. They haven't started laying yet. But the eggs they hatched from were nice and blue...From AHappyChick. One Question though...Of the 5 cockerals, I think one is a blue wheaten. If I keep only one, should it be the blue or the regular wheaten. I can't really tell if any of the pullets are blue

edited for really crappy spelling...not enough coffee yet....

The wheaten pullets will have black tips to their tail feathers, the BW will have blue. The splash wheaten will be whiteish. I you cross BW to BW you'll get 25% Wheaten, 50% BW, 25% Splash Wheaten. Do you know where her stock came from?

Quote:
Saw this and thought might jump in just in case it may be informative/useful- your chicks are genetically GL with dominant white added. DW has a strong effect on black and very little on red series pigments.. result on GL= black lacing 'turned' white and leaving the gold center mostly unaffected.

If you need new blood and can't get more BLB, just get nice GL.... sex doesn't matter. Or at least don't be afraid of going for real nice GL to help improve type or ??

Way ahead of you Kev.... I have GL Cochins..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom