shavings question

I forget how big your coop is. :hmm

My big 8x14 coop uses 1.5 bags if everything including nests is empty.

My 6x8 including nests uses about 3/4 of a bag.

I always keep an extra couple bags on hand since there have been times in he stores around me are out.
it is an 8x8. Ok. I was thinking a LOT more! it says it is 8 cu ft per bag so I was thinking I would need lots of bags. glad I asked. so guess if I get 2 bags I should be good to start.

Oh...one other thing....

I have found that I can save on shavings (and work) by cleaning under the roosts then moving the less dirty shavings under there and putting new in the now empty open areas.

I do not use poop boards.
Thanks. I have the poop boards so will scoop those daily and hoping to just add some new shavings here and there and do the deep litter method (think that is the right one) and just mix it up and do a full clean out a couple times a year.

Thanks. I have the poop boards so will scoop those daily and hoping to just add some new shavings here and there and do the deep litter method (think that is the right one) and just mix it up and do a full clean out a couple times a year.

You may want to put in a thermometer that has a humidity gauge and keep one outside near the coop too.

In winter especially, dry is important. I shoot for being within 5% of what it is outside. More than that and I do a full clean. I feel like it helps in preventing frostbite.

Be aware that frozen poo keeps its moisture trapped and as soon as it starts to thaw that is released causing a huge spike.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are running a similar setup to what I do. I clean the coop out once a year and scoop the boards daily.
For a coop your size I'd dump 2 bags in now, add another just before winter and do a full clean out in spring.
That works well for me but I do have an attached run that is predator proof so I never close the pop door and the birds are out in the run as soon as they come off the roost. That minimizes poop in the coop bedding.
2CAA8E144B7C_1621003889354.png

Back
Top Bottom