Shavings...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GlitterKitty, Aug 7, 2010.

1. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Songster

Nov 21, 2009
    Hello! [​IMG] I was wondering if pine shavings are okay to use in the brooder? I've used them before.. and nothing bad happened, but I just bought some I wanted to find out! [​IMG]

Thanks (=

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Pine shavings are great, it's the cedar shavings that you cannot use. Have fun! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  3. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Songster

Nov 21, 2009
    Yay Chicks! :

Pine shaving are great, it's the cedar shaving that you cannot use. Have fun! [​IMG]

Oh okay! Thank you!​

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Pine shavings are PERFECT to use in brooders! I even use the deep litter method in my brooders; just take out clumps and periodically add a new layer on top of the old shavings.

I use a nipple waterer so I don't have to deal with damp/wet shavings.

5. turtlebird

turtlebird Songster

Dec 11, 2009
    some people will place a paper towel over the pine shavings for the first day or so until they realize where the food is!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  6. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    After the first couple of days and as soon as you notice they are eating well, they are fine. They just have to learn what is food and what isn't. I generally wait about a week, post-hatch.

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    They are just fine, but I like pine pellets better because it cuts down on the dust. I don't use the pellets the first week though because I worry about them rolling under foot and possibly causing spraddle leg.

8. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Songster

Nov 21, 2009
    Thanks everyone! Usually the I start out with paper towels, then once they start pulling the paper towels back on their own I just stop puting them in there [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by