Shavings...

GlitterKitty

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Hello!
big_smile.png
I was wondering if pine shavings are okay to use in the brooder? I've used them before.. and nothing bad happened, but I just bought some I wanted to find out!
smile.png

Thanks (=

Yay Chicks! :

Pine shaving are great, it's the cedar shaving that you cannot use. Have fun!
smile.png

Oh okay! Thank you!​

Pine shavings are PERFECT to use in brooders! I even use the deep litter method in my brooders; just take out clumps and periodically add a new layer on top of the old shavings.

I use a nipple waterer so I don't have to deal with damp/wet shavings.

some people will place a paper towel over the pine shavings for the first day or so until they realize where the food is!

Last edited:
After the first couple of days and as soon as you notice they are eating well, they are fine. They just have to learn what is food and what isn't. I generally wait about a week, post-hatch.

They are just fine, but I like pine pellets better because it cuts down on the dust. I don't use the pellets the first week though because I worry about them rolling under foot and possibly causing spraddle leg.

Thanks everyone! Usually the I start out with paper towels, then once they start pulling the paper towels back on their own I just stop puting them in there
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom