Shaws call duck incubation thread (hatch a wonderful(worthless to Ralphie) dux thread)

Ya. . I didn't take one cause she is so done with me. . I'm worried she will stomp on the babies. Maybe when it gets dark she seems calmer at night. Poor mama I don't think she has got up to get drink or anything.
Oh no doubt... once they all hatch and she settles down is what I meant.:hugs
She'll be fine.. I know my hens don't get off the nest at this point until everyone hatches...;)

:pop:pop

So TSC had chicks for $.25 ....
And now i have two barred rocks:confused::oops:

IMG_8854.JPG
IMG_8853.JPG

Uggghhhh. I'm sorry I didn't answer. I don't know much about shrink wrapping but within 15 minutes, with humidity at 75%, every ducklings membrane turned dark and squeezed down. 7 all at once. I swear they were dying in front of me.

They are now mostly hatched out. All alive, if barely.

Not sure if this pic shows what I mean, this was one of 2 that weren't too bad.
20180427_160053.jpg

Uggghhhh. I'm sorry I didn't answer. I don't know much about shrink wrapping but within 15 minutes, with humidity at 75%, every ducklings membrane turned dark and squeezed down. 7 all at once. I swear they were dying in front of me.

Not sure if this pic shows what I mean, this was one of 2 that weren't too bad. View attachment 1360572

Did you open the incubator in the last 3 days at all?

Even though the hygrometer reads 70, if you open the incubator the humidity drops fast. The meter may not even read the drop it is so fast.

During the time it is open, and it only takes a minute or two the membrane will dry out. For some reason they do not seem to 're-moisturize" even with the high humidity.

I had to learn this the hard way. I could not understand why I couldn't look at them and close it quick.. The moisture in the membrane leaves VERY VERY fast..

That is why the last three days are called lock down...

I have tried everything on the heat shrink wrap. if they are developed enough you can pick it off.

If they start to bleed....EVEN ONE MINUTE DROP!!! stop and leave them alone for 12 hours or so. Yes, you will lose some. but you might save some too.

If you really want to save them....(NOTE this is my experience hatching other eggs. I have NEVER hatched a DUX!! Ever, ever, never.)

Did you open the incubator in the last 3 days at all?

Yes, because Calls very often need to be assisted to hatch. So the incubator gets opened a lot to help them. Not opening it is a death sentence in a lot of cases. The membranes get moistened to avoid them drying up and sticking to the ducklings.

I open the incubator all the time in lockdown and don't get shrinkwrapping, but every incubator and everyone's experiences are different :)

Last edited:
Yes, because Calls very often need to be assisted to hatch. So the incubator gets opened a lot to help them. Not opening it is a death sentence in a lot of cases. The membranes get moistened to avoid them drying up and sticking to the ducklings.

I open the incubator all the time in lockdown and don't get shrinkwrapping, but every incubator and everyone's experiences are different.

Hence, why I mentioned my lack of DUX experience.

Also different parts of the country have different "atmospheres" that change hatching techniques radically.

Not sure if this pic shows what I mean, this was one of 2 that weren't too bad. View attachment 1360572
Is it still yawning?
Keep the membrane moist... hopefully the others will be more helpful than I can. I just don't know enough about hatching calls yet..:hugs

I open the incubator all the time in lockdown and don't get shrinkwrapping, but every incubator and everyone's experiences are different.
:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom