Shaws call duck incubation thread (hatch a wonderful(worthless to Ralphie) dux thread)

For the calls, this last time, I had a plastic container that I think a cooked chicken dinner came in. About 2 inches deep, maybe 12" wide by about 8". I cut one side down to about an inch lip, then put an old wash cloth on the bottom, and put the waterer on the wash cloth. I had to change the cloth every day (nasty, I just washed and rotated 2), but it sure keep more of the water from soaking the whole brooder, plus it gave them a little puddle to play in. :D
That’s a great idea!

Great idea, I'll set that up tomorrow, hopefully they'll be ready to use the whole brooder too. They're in a box inside it today. These are still pretty wobbly but I bet they'll be strong tomorrow.

I have a platform made to put a low pan under but that's probably a week or so away till they're big enough. I could use this idea right away, they'll love it I'm sure.

Great idea, I'll set that up tomorrow, hopefully they'll be ready to use the whole brooder too. They're in a box inside it today. These are still pretty wobbly but I bet they'll be strong tomorrow.

I have a platform made to put a low pan under but that's probably a week or so away till they're big enough. I could use this idea right away, they'll love it I'm sure.
I bet! Cool idea.
I didn't know what grow grow gel was so I'm sure they are / were ok then :)

20180428_215119.jpg
here's my set up now that they are bigger. Covered a kitchen rack with hardwire mesh. . homemade coffee can waterer that makes it deep enough to clear snares. Puppy pad underneath shavings. Works pretty darn well as long as I change it out daily. Keeps them up off of the wet stuff.

View attachment 1363424 here's my set up now that they are bigger. Covered a kitchen rack with hardwire mesh. . homemade coffee can waterer that makes it deep enough to clear snares. Puppy pad underneath shavings. Works pretty darn well as long as I change it out daily. Keeps them up off of the wet stuff.
That looks like a great set up, keeps them dry and not terrible to maintain.

The gro gel is worth keeping around. Seems like a tiny quantity but it really goes a long way. I've started 40 chicks on one tiny bag of it so far, probably only used a third. I use maybe a half teaspoon to a half cup of water.

Back
Top Bottom