Shaws call duck incubation thread (hatch a wonderful(worthless to Ralphie) dux thread)

I don't remember if I posted here. . but I lost my Rouen drake (Howard) the other day to a fox and little black Bibbed call duckling due to a ramp malfunction in the pool on the same day! :rant
So. . now they have a cinder block with a foundation brick on top for steps to get out. Seems to be working perfectly.
View attachment 1382852 R.I.P. Howard. . you were a good dux.
So sorry for your losses. :hugs

You know you need some Howard babies now so his gentle nature can live on.
It's on like donkey Kong. . lol.
I candled duck and Jane s eggs and there were 9 good eggs. One infertile one blood ring.
SO . . decided to check incubator eggs and only two viable in there. The third One quit. Had a blood ring and a black spot. SO. . I replaced the two ones I took from her with the last two good ones from the Bator. . they looked to be pretty much the exact same stage so this should work out great. :yesss:
The one bad thing is I washed those eggs. . so they won't have the protective bloom :hmm
But I will gamble on it. Jane keeps a pretty clean nest so hopefully it will be ok.:fl
I have 5 eggs that should still be fertile. .I think I will gather the next two days and set this weekend. Hopefully some of them will develop. :fl

Did you all see there's an article on breeding Calls in this month's Exhibition Poultry? It's got some tips for increasing fertility and hatchability, too:

https://exhibitionpoultry.net/downloads/EPM-7-1.pdf

There are a couple small errors like saying they take 28 days to hatch and some spelling issues, but it's a free magazine so I can let that go :p

Did you all see there's an article on breeding Calls in this month's Exhibition Poultry? It's got some tips for increasing fertility and hatchability, too:

https://exhibitionpoultry.net/downloads/EPM-7-1.pdf

There are a couple small errors like saying they take 28 days to hatch and some spelling issues, but it's a free magazine so I can let that go :p
That was interesting! Especially the humidity part:hmm. . and do you use distilled water? What are your thoughts on that?

Back
Top Bottom