Shaws call duck incubation thread (hatch a wonderful(worthless to Ralphie) dux thread)

So I got my new LGD home! Arrived at 4am and walked around with him leashed to check everyone. Surprised a raccoon in the barn and even at 12 weeks he barked and wanted to attack. So the instincts are there.

He's also very sweet and mellow. When the geese approached him, likely intending to chest bump him like they do my little dog, he gave them a little bark. They backed off and everyone ignored each other from there. He enjoys all the birds so far.

He ignored this duck creeping close to examine him like a real champ.
View attachment 1487610
He’s so cute!!!!! I love it that he’s so relaxed that the ducks can come check him out.:love

Does he sleep outside with them too? I mean I am sure your birds are secure at night but will the pup be patrolling at night?
He's in the house for now but eventually will be on duty at night. The birds are as carefully predator safe at night as I've been able to do but the racoon pressure here is tremendous. I worry that they'll find some weakness one night. In addition their continual presence is putting humans in contact with them. My daughter had one dart right at her in the barn doorway recently when we startled it. Not to mention daily sightings of most other small predators. I even saw a Fisher next to my driveway a few weeks ago. That was the last straw! He's too young at 3 months to fight them and hasn't had a rabies shot yet but when it's time he'll be out. I'm so looking forward to being able to have everyone outside more during the day as well.

Well he sure sounds like he is going to be a good one. I look forward to seeing more pics and hearing all about his heroic feats in keeping the predators at bay.

We have a ton of preds too and even though my dogs aren't able to be in the fenced area with the birds the barking I am sure keeps a lot away during the day and everyone is locked up at night. We have mini dachshunds and barking is the only thing they like to do beside eat. :rolleyes:

Well he sure sounds like he is going to be a good one. I look forward to seeing more pics and hearing all about his heroic feats in keeping the predators at bay.

We have a ton of preds too and even though my dogs aren't able to be in the fenced area with the birds the barking I am sure keeps a lot away during the day and everyone is locked up at night. We have mini dachshunds and barking is the only thing they like to do beside eat. :rolleyes:
I have a jack Russell dox cross that's 150% bird safe but hides from everything. She's got no bark whatsoever. I think barking must be really helpful.

Back
Top Bottom