Shaws call duck incubation thread (hatch a wonderful(worthless to Ralphie) dux thread)

I love all the unusual colors too, definitely need to source lots of eggs next spring. Plus something has to break this 3 drake 3 duck thing up. What's the ideal ratio?
Here is some thoughts I posted on another thread with the same question the other day.

I've read many times that the recommended ratio is 3 ducks to 1 drake. But as stated above a lot just depends on the personality of your drakes. Even with plenty of girls to go around sometimes the drakes seem to get in competition with each other and you still have a problem. Or sometimes you'll have a duck that becomes the favorite and still gets over mated. My opinion is this. . have as many ducks (girls) as you can have but still be prepared to separate or re home drakes should trouble arise. Watch your girls for signs of distress from over mating even if you have plenty.
I have also observed this year how breeding season can make a drake insane. I have a call drake that was a perfect gentleman last year. . this spring he turned rotten. He spent the majority of the summer in drake jail. Now he is in eclipse plumage and back with the flock and doesn't bother a soul. So Their behavior can change with the seasons drastically.

I'll add to this that several call duck peeps here have reported a lot of theirs tend to pair up and not have as many issues as some other breeds.
I also read in my call duck breed book where the guy said it can actually become a problem if you have too MANY ducks per drake because a drake will usually try to spread the love and can end up with a prolapsed penis. I'll have to look that up for the specific quote. . but I think he recommended 2 or no more than 3 for breeding pens.

Here is some thoughts I posted on another thread with the same question the other day.

I've read many times that the recommended ratio is 3 ducks to 1 drake. But as stated above a lot just depends on the personality of your drakes. Even with plenty of girls to go around sometimes the drakes seem to get in competition with each other and you still have a problem. Or sometimes you'll have a duck that becomes the favorite and still gets over mated. My opinion is this. . have as many ducks (girls) as you can have but still be prepared to separate or re home drakes should trouble arise. Watch your girls for signs of distress from over mating even if you have plenty.
I have also observed this year how breeding season can make a drake insane. I have a call drake that was a perfect gentleman last year. . this spring he turned rotten. He spent the majority of the summer in drake jail. Now he is in eclipse plumage and back with the flock and doesn't bother a soul. So Their behavior can change with the seasons drastically.

I'll add to this that several call duck peeps here have reported a lot of theirs tend to pair up and not have as many issues as some other breeds.
I also read in my call duck breed book where the guy said it can actually become a problem if you have too MANY ducks per drake because a drake will usually try to spread the love and can end up with a prolapsed penis. I'll have to look that up for the specific quote. . but I think he recommended 2 or no more than 3 for breeding pens.

Excellent post. :clap
I’ve had lopsided flocks many times. I agree every flock is different. I’ve not seen the thing about some drakes over-spreading the love, but that’s a great point.

I’ve had lopsided flocks many times. I agree every flock is different. I’ve not seen the thing about some drakes over-spreading the love, but that’s a great point.
Oh oh oh oh. . .I got distracted. .
I came here to tell everyone that I unwrapped my Angel wing girl tonight and it looks perfect!!!
Not confident in saying it's fixed yet. . i only had a few minutes to watch her but she flapped her wings a couple times and it went back where it belonged :wee

Oh and thanks for complimenting my post. It's Just my observations so far since I've joined the world of duck keeping:p

I really don't believe there is one clear cut answer.

Oh oh oh oh. . .I got distracted. .
I came here to tell everyone that I unwrapped my Angel wing girl tonight and it looks perfect!!!
Not confident in saying it's fixed yet. . i only had a few minutes to watch her but she flapped her wings a couple times and it went back where it belonged :wee

Sweet! I wish I could wrap my little fella. I did watch him flap the other day, and it folded up nicely, for a second. Then flopped back out. :hmm

Oh and thanks for complimenting my post. It's Just my observations so far since I've joined the world of duck keeping:p

I really don't believe there is one clear cut answer.

Doesn’t take long to become an expert here on BYC. :lol:

Seriously though, there is a lot of gray area in so many things, it’s hard to be sure of anything. Double edged sword sometimes. :p

Sweet! I wish I could wrap my little fella. I did watch him flap the other day, and it folded up nicely, for a second. Then flopped back out. :hmm

Doesn’t take long to become an expert here on BYC. :lol:

Seriously though, there is a lot of gray area in so many things, it’s hard to be sure of anything. Double edged sword sometimes. :p
:lau:lau:lau
(Laughing about the "expert" part)

Well I'm telling ya I just threw that vet wrap out the window. Ducks feathers are too slick it just will not stay in place :barnie
I ended up just using the medical tape and it stayed on without a problem for 2 days. It's not that hard to get off really I just go slow and hold on to the feathers as I work it off.

That was a great post and really helps me out. I guess I'll have to wait and see and have crates ready to go lol. And get on everyone's list for first crack at eggs in the spring hopefully! Obviously I must have more calls. Especially silver, really need silver and pastel.

So glad to read the duck wing tape worked so fast!

That was a great post and really helps me out. I guess I'll have to wait and see and have crates ready to go lol. And get on everyone's list for first crack at eggs in the spring hopefully! Obviously I must have more calls. Especially silver, really need silver and pastel.

So glad to read the duck wing tape worked so fast!

You have first dibs on eggs from mine :) Maybe you'll even be able to come pick them up, lol.

Back
Top Bottom