she died

rita2paul

Songster
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
Gloucestershire
hi i am sorry to report that my lovely chicken died this afternoon, my other little brown one is at a loss without her they always slept together in the nest box, she is going to miss her terribly and so am i.
i have two other chickens but these two were inseparable even when she was dying my little brown chicken came and laid down by her. so sad to see.

I'm sorry for your loss. I had two sick chickens someone gave me a couple months back. Had to keep the seperate from my other birds as they were so very ill. Ooze from their cloudy eyes, ruffled oily feathers, drainage from their nose. The black one, while very sick herself, was obviously watching over the other - she hovered over her protecting her right to her death. I'd struggled for 2 weeks to help them, and nothing I tried worked, so after the one chicken died, I decided to let nature decide rather than keep the other alone in her box. I took her to the woods at the side of our property, let her go, told her to be careful and quiet at night, and to find what would heal her. She came back down every morning, and began to look better. After 2 weeks I was sure she was well, and put her in with the others - all has been fine sense. She has since bonded with the other chickens. Sounds like your chicken was very caring, but such a loving spirit in the bird will open to others as well as to the one she lost. Give her time, and love.

I am so sorry you lost your little chicken. Maybe after some time she will form a bond with the other 2. In the meantime I would just give her lots of love. That is very sad that she lost her friend.

I am so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

I just don't get people who think animals don't have a consciousness of any kind. We recently lost our porcelain d'uccle roo, and while he was ill, his mate (Portia) would get treats when I took out afternoon treats (I always bring leftovers from the kitchen in the afternoons, usually veggies) and she would take the treats to him in the coop where he was recovering. I know that's why he lasted as long as he did and almost recovered a couple of times (he was accidentally injured by a very large 11-pound delawegger roo). The first 2 days after Charlie the porcelain d'uccle roo finally died, Portia walked around the yard aimlessly calling out to him, and he did not answer. She was obviously grieving.

Then, one of the other young pullets "befriended" her, and now the two of them hang out.

That is not the behavior of a creature without a consciousness or without feelings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom