She getting ready for laying?

This is my Light Sussex (front chicken). Her comb and wattles are very red (as you can see in the photo) and she hasn't showed any signs of laying.

My oldest girls got their combs and wattles real red, and just this week started squating. At first I thought they were ducking when I was trying to pet them and was thinking whose been hitting my chickens- so the researcher in me googled it and results led to byc- lol have been here since feb, so I guess I missed that thread lol. The older girls are also more vocal than my younger , today I got my first egg- they are 21 weeks. I added a pic that I took recently so you can see their combs and wattles

She is a pullet and likely will be the first to lay for you. However, she still has a long way to go. You want to see a lot of redness around the eye, then you know she is nearer to laying. They all mature at different rates.

This welsummer pullet is 20 weeks old. She's still probably a month out from starting to lay. She needs to get more red around her eye.

This is a picture of a laying hen (my hatchery BR)

Back
Top Bottom