She hatched 3 DAYS EARLY!!!

mick&cori

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 26, 2011
Central Indiana
The eggs I have in the incubator are supposed to hatch on Saturday. When I got home from work yesterday, I went to check on the duck eggs (my neighbor was mowing his hay field and ran over a nest of 12 mallard eggs - 3 eggs weren't broken, so they are now in my incubator too). Anyway, I saw that one of the guinea eggs had a crack. I thought someone may have hit it or something and cracked it. So, I picked it up and a beak was sticking out, and she (wishful thinking) was chirping her head off. Well, the eggs are still in the turning racks, so I put her in the hatching drawer to finish getting out of the egg. After a few hours, I go check on her and she's made it out! Well, the supposed "non_slip" sheets that come in the drawer are slippery. Poor little thing has splayed legs. I was so sad and so angry that they market those as non-slip. I taped her legs up and she seems to be getting around ok now. I hope this band-aid works. She's also very lonely since her friends won't be here for a few days. She has a mirror and small stuffed animal, but cries when we walk away from her box. I'll keep you updated and try to get a picture of her up. I think she's a lavender, but I'm not as good as Peeps on colors. :)

Pics pics! Congrats on your baby keet... what day did she hatch on... day 25? That's fairly normal to get an early keet or 2 with my Guinea eggs.Day 26 is the average. Plus I've seen a lot of people with Sportsmans say they have early hatches... Guinelady93 had a couple unexpected early keets hatch out in hers not that long ago.

aww .. Hope she heals fast .. Might be a blessing that she has a little time to mend before the others are there to bother her healing process .
Thank you CorinneP! I was thinking that, too. I'm also glad that it was just one of my babies instead of any of the 200 or so eggs I have in there. She seems to be doing great. She is walking around, chirping her little head off. She still gets off balance if she gets going to fast, but I'm very pleased with how fast she adapted to the band-aid. At least now she can get up and get to where she needs to go. She's been eating and drinking well, so I think she's got a good head-start!

Pics pics! Congrats on your baby keet... what day did she hatch on... day 25? That's fairly normal to get an early keet or 2 with my Guinea eggs.Day 26 is the average. Plus I've seen a lot of people with Sportsmans say they have early hatches... Guinelady93 had a couple unexpected early keets hatch out in hers not that long ago.

Ah, Peeps, I'm working on uploading pics. I hate dial-up.

Yes, she hatched on day 25. I've got a rescued duck egg, a barred rock or white rock egg, an Americauna egg, and a guinea egg all working on hatching right now. They've just made a small little hole in the egg, so it should be a few more hours - at least.

I'm having trouble getting the humidity up and over 70%. I can't get it any higher than 58%. I read somewhere that you can mist some warm water on the eggs to help - TRUE OR FALSE??

Thanks for all your help. The new hatched keet is getting around great with her taped legs. She still loses her balance, but she can get to where she wants to go. Hopefully in a week when I take off the tape she's good to go.

I've lightly mist my eggs, I've added mayo lids under the wire and fill those with water, I've also add wet sponges and even a couple small jars with water and a sponge in them (sticking out) acting as a wick (just learned that trick from CountryChickens this season). All work well for me. Humidity is controlled by the exposed surface area of the water, so the more you have exposed... the higher your humidity will stay. Good luck with the rest of your hatches!

Back
Top Bottom