She is an Easter Egger, correct?

nbd3um1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Here is one of our girls, she was all black as a chick and my hubbies favorite. From everything that I have seen I am guessing that she is an Easter Egger. Do you agree?

Hmmm... I thought they had to lay blue eggs, Lol.

Oh well, never mind I suppose xD

Well, they could lay green eggs, too--and in fact, EEs are far more likely to lay green eggs than blue ones. A green egg is a blue egg with a brown coating, so an EE that was a mix of a blue egg layer and a brown egg layer would lay green eggs. However, some EEs have all the look of the EE--such as the pea comb and beard--and very, very rarely might not get a blue egg gene and then lay brown eggs. It's rare, because the blue egg gene follows the pea comb like 98% of the time, but it can happen. So, TECHNICALLY an EE should lay a blue or green egg. But since they're all mutts anyway, most people would call a mutt chicken with a beard and pea comb an EE no matter what color egg she lays.

You can't say she's an EE until she lays a blue or green egg. She looks like most EEs, but she's not one until a blue or green egg pops out.
Um...?

She is pretty and sweet? Great! :D
I couldn't believe how soft they are when we got out first ones, either!
a
An EE is a bird that does not confirm to Araucana or ameracauna standards and carries the blue egg gene - meaning, it lays blue or green eggs. EEs aren't a breed, it's mearly a chicken that lays green or blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom