She just won't shut up! Help :(

Webbigail

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
Bay Area, CA.
I have a 3 month old Cayuga, and she just won't shut up. I swear she starts at 6am when I'm getting ready to leave for work (she doesn't know I'm even up). Then when I get home and walk in the house she starts up again and she'll continue to quack until I go sit with her and my drake.

I just don't get it. I feed her, I sit with her, I cuddle her, I play with them. I don't understand what the hell is going on and why she won't shut up.

Help?

Yeah, I would say she is probably lonely for another duck? Just my humble opinion.
smile.png

I had 3 crested ducks just like that, first it started with one hen quacking at 7 am, then 2 then 3 and by the time my patience were at an end they would all 3 start quacking at 4 am....... and then quack all day........drove me crazy until all 3 went into the soup pot.

If you can't get another duck to keep her company, try putting mirrors in her pen. Being able to see another 'duck' might help settle her down a bit. Or if you have a chicken or other bird that would be ok with her, maybe try putting them together for awhile to see if that helps.
Maybe even a stuffed animal??

She has a mate! lol. I just got a citation from the city saying that theyre getting noise complaints and I have to remove my ducks within 3 days cause she won't shut up. what!

This is driving me insane. I just don't know what to do for her. I mean, is this like puberty for her? Like a hormonal thing or what?

i have worried about noise complaints, too. Luckily, most all of our neighbors are friends and appreciate our eggs. But what i started doing with Diana and Dusty when they decide to stand there and scream, i put them in a hutch inside our shed and close the door. What happened with Diana, is that she wanted a nice dark spot to lay an egg, and she quieted right down. That didn't do the trick with Dusty, it wasn't that she wanted to lay. But at least getting her into a shed with the door closed kept her quiet for a while.

My other tactic is to put out lots of treats, fruit, yogurt, greens. They can't scream with full beaks.

Hope you can find a solution. Sorry again, i know how frustrating it is. Hope you don't lose your ducks.

I'm gonna fight this. The city I live in considers them livestock BUT I'm not raising them for eggs or meat (I'm a freaking vegetarian for the love of God). I'm going to city hall in a minute to prove that they're NOT livestock but show ducks. They're pets. They are friendly to humans and love attention. I'll show the pictures of my little drake sitting on my lap if I have to! lol. I will win them over with the cuteness of my little ones.

If all else fails I have a safe house for them an hour away and can hide them out there til she stops this nonstop quacking.

I mean really, how can they deny this face?
smile.png

l_d919b25adeba46938ebb462ebab2dc3e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom