She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    It's the little things like that - that make this hobby fun!

2. rossfam06

rossfam06 Beak Brokers

Sep 20, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    My Coop

My poor silkie does not jump on the roost...
    it maybe because she is so small and can't jump worth a crap. Lol!!!! Poor thing. So I have to go and pick her up and place her on the lowest roosting rack...which is less than a foot off the ground.

3. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Awww. Maybe she needs her own roost just a couple of inches off the ground!

4. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    My silkies can't roost/jump more than a foot. Half of them sleep in the corners on the ground. I have four precious mixed silkie chicks right now that I hatched under a broody, but am raising in a hutch. They are the sweetest things! They've learned if they hop onto the edge of my shoes that I'm wearing, then I'll put them in their hutch!

5. sjturner79

sjturner79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    Ok for putting in nails you want a nail gun, hammer take too long. To get the out I have a series of wrecking bars. @yorkshire
    I'm sure I posted the update yesterday when I candled.
    On silkies - put a ramp up to the roosts. It seem to have taugh them how to jump. When I got them they wouldn't go more than 6inches, they are still the same size but will now jump up to about 18 inches, rather than bothering with the ramp

6. BlackwoodHollow

BlackwoodHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Northeastish Ga
    So I finally--well, quit working for the day, I guess you never do finish--only to find that this thread has jumped around 45 pages.
    . . . .

[​IMG]

Hope I didn't miss much(though it looks like I missed some blue goodness)!
    On a sunny note, we candled the eggs tonight(night7), and it looks like we only have 2, maybe 3 clears! E1 else seems to be developing nicely. There was even movement.squeeee!! It was a pretty awesome experience.
    On a slightly cloudier note, our baby girl managed to break away from us long enough to sneak into the master bath and drop two eggs on the floor. Boy. . . that was fun. One didn't crack, but it was a clearymarble speak! when we candled it. The other embryo was nicely developed and ended up--kersplat!--all over the floor.

I told you guys, she's a real pistol britches, that one. She's been after that bator since we brought it home, and today was the day she finally got to it. We were so good about keeping the doors shut, too. [​IMG]

Well, with the way things are going, guess I'll see you in another 50-100 posts. If anyone thinks they notice me lurking, it's really just my husband, scanning while working(or driving, he's multidimensional like that [​IMG]), or possibly myself, running the page in teh background, hoping I'll get to read some.

Side note: Candling is the best/worst. Before tonight, I was perfectly happy letting them sit in there, all alone. Now I want to go in there and stare at them, candle them again. . . something![​IMG]

Night guys![​IMG]

7. sjturner79

sjturner79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    Well I have now opened all the eggs I removed and only 2 of the 7 had any development, but they were defiantly not anywhere near day 14 so I didn't toss any I shouldn't have.

8. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    GAchooks: I'm sorry to hear about the broken eggs! But at least you have some nice development in the other eggs! :jumpy

SJ: in my silkie/pigeon coop, there are roosts in the run and in the house. The house ones are about 1/2' off the ground. They go up the ramp and use those when they can get past Louis, Mr boss pigeon. The outside roosts are really high up. Even LF can't reach them easily. So the pidgies get those to themselves.

9. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY

Yeah, still haven't gotten the silkies to roost yet. I put them on the lowest roost (it's about 5 inches off ground) and they just fall right off. Hopefully they'll learn that eventually too!

I will try a ramp to the roost! Thanks for the idea!

Oh no! Trust me, I can picture that happening in my house in a few months. The older kids are good with the eggs but this baby is really trying to get around. A couple more months and he'll be walking. He's already dangerous now that he's crawling. So I feel your pain!! Congrats on the developing eggs though. Sneak a peek before bed each night...I can never help myself!! :)

10. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    My silkies get on the roost just fine. Its maybe 18" up to it.

Went to look for eggs this morning and I see one in the nest box, but also a hen still sitting in there. I don't know if she's the one that laid it, or if she's about to lay her own. They did kick my fake egg out of the box, I was going to remove it today anyway, since they seem to be doing fine. Surely she isn't going broody so soon after starting to lay? 1 week?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by