She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    You don't want to know... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    [​IMG]
    Big enough [​IMG]

3. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    That bottom picture is the direction I am heading. Much easier access

4. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Sounds perfect to me! Nice!
    Yup! I've gotten suckered into going to a lot of those parties! ;)
    SJ, first, congrats on all the hatches and the babies in the brooder!! Second, what is up with those pips? ;)
    I like the setup, SC. Mine will probably be something like that in 6 years if I don't move to a farm with stables, which is the dream plan. I love the sea foam green coop! One question, are the wood triangles for support of the frame? And how many different breeds do you have right now?
    Congrats on the baby!
    Love this. Looks very similar to the setup that the top peafowl breeders have.

5. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Yes. Plus, it looks neat and tidy. What I've got now is just scattered coops/hutches.
    Thats what I thought. :D

6. dan26552

dan26552 True BYC Addict

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    If it says Blue OR green eggs its mostly likely an EE, Ameracaunas are supposed to lay blue eggs

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Yea, that's what they all say... [​IMG]

I like those also... I really need to re-organize mine. Dang chicken math...

8. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    The wood triangles come from these:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    Hi I have been reading this post for the past 2 days. Love it! I haven't hatched in three years, because I moved from NY to PA, and I couldn't take my flock with me. I'm ready to start again. My coop is almost done. I couldn't find hatching eggs or chicks locally. So I purchase pullet chicks from Cackle Hatchery; 9 EE's and 7 Salmon Faverolle. And Shipped eggs 19 from a friend in NJ and 12 from Ebay. I bought a Brinsea 6 years ago, because it had great reviews (set it and leave it - fully automatic - just add water) and I was a novice. And most of the time I had great hatches with. 85% on shipped eggs. That % might have been higher because my first egg autopsy was my last. Couldn't handle the smell. So I might have had infertile eggs. All my eggs were to dark to candle, BCM, OE, EE, and Ameraucanas. But I am a researcher. So I started rereading Incubating information and there new data on hatching. Excellent or is it! I knew about weighing eggs but didn't. "New rules for shipped eggs" - don't turn them for 10 days, close the vent for 7 days but this has a major effect on humidity and appears contradictory. And everyone is suggesting humidity should be lower. A 2 hour cool down period should be done. And timing - warnings about lock down should be exactly 18 full days, not +/- a few hours. Okay I'm not a scientist, I am a financial analyst and except 4% variances. I set the eggs last Friday at 7pm. I did weigh each one, numbered them and candled them for cracks. Created a log and a calendar. The turner is not on. I put a 1/4 cup of water in 1 channel and closed the vent. Now the humidity stayed in the 50's. Tomorrow at 7ish I will candle turn on the turner and go back to my old "set and leave them method". I think the less I handle them the better. I did buy a new cool temp candler for dark eggs, so I have to use it. This other stuff is too much - will it improve my hatch rate or quality - IDK. Other than not turning - is any of the "new rules" important?

10. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I have a Brinsea with the cool down feature. I don't use it. Like you, I hatch 85% +. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Welcome to the thread :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by