She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

One of my duck eggs is on day 22. It's air cell is abnormally large (it's taking up half the cell) The duckling appears to have internally piped...and it whole head its out!
I'm almost certain that the duckling is in the wrong position as it has no room to move and wasn't ready to pip.
I do have my ducklings hatching around day 25 anyway as I can't change the incubator temperature!
So...
I know I'm going to have to do an assisted hatch... But when should I do it - how long before he runs out of oxygen?!

Well here it is in my home. And soon as i can find a way to do my petting zoo I will do it.and helping others. And giving some of the food to needy family's and teaching them, all find funding some how.

One of my duck eggs is on day 22. It's air cell is abnormally large (it's taking up half the cell) The duckling appears to have internally piped...and it whole head its out!
I'm almost certain that the duckling is in the wrong position as it has no room to move and wasn't ready to pip.
I do have my ducklings hatching around day 25 anyway as I can't change the incubator temperature!
So...
I know I'm going to have to do an assisted hatch... But when should I do it - how long before he runs out of oxygen?!
I'm assumimg they are the average 28 day hatchers? At hatchtime the airr cell draws down and sometime that is extreme looking and that could be what you are seeing if it is internally pipped. If it is internally pipped it has tobe somewhat in the right position to be in the air cell. Ducks take longer than chicks on average to do anything, so you need 24-38 hours of being internally pipped before you even think of assisting and then about the only thing you could do would be to start a safety hole. Until the duckling has pipped externally and been pipped for a significant amount of time (again w/ducks that is 24-48 hours) there's not a lot you can do with greater risk to the duckling.

22 days is extremely early, so I wouldn't push it too fast.

For a couple weeks now I've delt with trying to ignore certain issues and comments made between the two threads that I started (hands on hatching and help and she said/he said) and it's getting so frustrating that I am going to say a couple things. I try to be poliet and tolerant and not make other people's experiences on BYC crappy for them, but I realized by not voicing my grievances, I'm making it more unpleasant for myself and the other members of these two threads that contribute greatly and are getting frustrated as well, and there are many.

OK, first, if you are going to post on here and respond to something someone else says, for the good grace of God and our sanity, QUOTE the person that you are talking too!!!!! Or at least tag them!! It's getting obnoxious trying to figure out who certain people are talking to or what issue they are addressing, when quotes or tags are not used. The feature is there for a reason. It doesn't mess up anything or "hurt" to use it, and makes it easier to figure out what the heck you are talking about.

My second biggest gripe is what the threads were started for. The She said/He said thread was started so that hatchers from different philosophies could come together and compare and discuss how they hatch and what works for them and help others to see that there are MANY ways and philosophies/methods that work with great success. This threads promotes differences and tolerance through civil discussion and offers help to those who come looking.

HOWEVER
The hands on hatching and help thread, is exactly for what the thread title reads. This is for hands on hatchers- people who are more involved with their hatch, that are not hands "off". This is for people who want to assist chicks, candle and be able to open their bator without having to hear someone gripe about them doing so. It is not a place to come and throw in hands off approaches, to tell people they shouldn't be candling or assisting or whatever they are doing that differs from your hands off perspective. We are a HANDS ON group, we don't care that you think candling is bad. Please respect the very essence of what the thread was created for. We understand that our way isn't the only way, that's fine, but this is what the thread is about. If you are not hands on, looking for help or understanding of our "way" then it's probably not the thread for you. Because I will get very loud and probably not poliet when I see anti- hands on remarks on a hands on thread. I don't like looking like a pyscho witch, so please don't make me.

Just a note of thought: If you are asking for help and advice -anywhere and people are willing to help you and take time to process your problem and give you suggestions and you shoot every single thing down that they say, you probably aren't going to recieve a lot of help in the future, after all, you don't need it, cause you already know it all......

Candling scares me. I will help an egg if it's struggling if it makes a hole big enough to help. It's hard for me to remember to spell all your names correctly. I have a hard time sorry. I not trying to disrespect anyone. I have a hard time with things.its not easy for me to move around.

So...

So...you've had the egg in your incubator for 22+ days...was it collected and cooled right after hatching? I have hatched a LOT of eggs and I have never seen a 75% gestation egg with an internal pip, no matter what the temperature it incubated at.

An internal pip is actually a positive sign, and air cells can be quite large, even an apparent "half" of the egg at the margins, because the baby can push it up in the middle. My concern is that if you are seeing the air cell margins that low, that you may be seeing a very dry egg rather than a ready to hatch egg. What is your humidity reading, and can you share a photo? Do you hear any pips?

I've seen it in my chicken eggs. Especially the ones with genetic disorder . Where the egg had opened and can't get out. Some bleed some died some died days later or a few min later. Some survived and our well to these day. So if I say it doesn't work for us it might be we tryed it previously with a chicken egg or in the two rounds of duck eggs. I not trying to be a problem. I don't have all the answers some or just left to heaven above. God bless all

I've seen it in my chicken eggs. Especially the ones with genetic disorder . Where the egg had opened and can't get out. Some bleed some died some died days later or a few min later. Some survived and our well to these day. So if I say it doesn't work for us it might be we tryed it previously with a chicken egg or in the two rounds of duck eggs. I not trying to be a problem. I don't have all the answers some or just left to heaven above. God bless all

I truly believe from thousands of eggs through various incubators that it is generally environmental rather than genetic when a membrane is dry. There are certainly plenty of reasons that a chick/poult/duckling/gosling/keet won't hatch. Sometimes it amazes me that any survive artificial incubation.

There is no good fix for an egg that is too dry. Adding humidity late-stage won't help that any more than running dry at hatch will make up for too high a humidity during the first 75%. It's all a balancing act, and I rely only on the air cell to let me know if I am on track.

I have 17 turkey eggs in the hatcher tray right now, and 40 more incubating. When these are done, that will be more than 500 eggs this season. That's enough for now.

Back
Top Bottom