She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

So I have my 3 eggs from every hen plus three extras waiting for one more from my polish (as one of my candling eggs). Hopefully I'll get that tomorrow. I have a question.
@scflock @Yorkshire coop are the polish's eggs significantly smaller than the standard eggs? I'm worried about incubating my polish and silkie's eggs (the two I want the most) because I'm uncomfortable with the size. I'll probably go ahead and do it anyway, but I'd like an idea of how big of a mistake I'm making. I have two that are laying real good sized and my nn/ee is now laying a decent (small decent, but decent). Those I'm fairly comfortable with. I have only hatched out two silkie/polish mixes and have no idea what eggs out of that hatch they came from so I have no clue what size eggs they were. My silkie eggs in last hatch seemed average sized.

In other news: How's the selling going sc?? Any luck so far with selling those Polish??

So I have my 3 eggs from every hen plus three extras waiting for one more from my polish (as one of my candling eggs). Hopefully I'll get that tomorrow. I have a question.
@scflock
 @Yorkshire coop
  are the polish's eggs significantly smaller than the standard eggs? I'm worried about incubating my polish and silkie's eggs (the two I want the most) because I'm uncomfortable with the size. I'll probably go ahead and do it anyway, but I'd like an idea of how big of a mistake I'm making. I have two that are laying real good sized and my nn/ee is now laying a decent (small decent, but decent). Those I'm fairly comfortable with.  I have only hatched out two silkie/polish mixes and have no idea what eggs out of that hatch they came from so I have no clue what size eggs they were. My silkie eggs in last hatch seemed average sized.

In other news: How's the selling going sc?? Any luck so far with selling those Polish??
Some window shoppers, but no takers. I have incubated bantams, polish, and marans together and all were fine. Polish are as long, but more skinny than standard. Probably not going to be setting next week. I have a high price on them for my area, but last time I sold out in 4 days. I just didn't have 22 of them...

Some window shoppers, but no takers. I have incubated bantams, polish, and marans together and all were fine. Polish are as long, but more skinny than standard. Probably not going to be setting next week. I have a high price on them for my area, but last time I sold out in 4 days. I just didn't have 22 of them...
Ok, then I will probably set tomorrow afternoon/evening.
big_smile.png

I'm trying to get eggs but no one will return my emails or texts from Craigslist. Why do people advertise stuff and then not respond to inquiries? Smh!

Originally I was thinking in the water, but that would just dissolve, but if the salt was made into a slurry in the same fashion as in the hygrometer test (on a slightly bigger scale) it should have the same effect as the test, just on a bigger scale.

FYI girls salt will only control humidity in a air tight environment or near air tight or where there are massive salt deposits . Rice is worthless It doesn't absorb moisture fast enough to make a difference. silica absorbs moisture the best I wouldn't want to use it in a incubator though.

I'm trying to get eggs but no one will return my emails or texts from Craigslist. Why do people advertise stuff and then not respond to inquiries? Smh!
I hate that soooo much!

FYI girls salt will only control humidity in a air tight environment or near air tight or where there are massive salt deposits . Rice is worthless It doesn't absorb moisture fast enough to make a difference. silica absorbs moisture the best I wouldn't want to use it in a incubator though.

Actually I decided to take the small bowl of salt I had in the bator for 24 hours (with no change in humidity) and make it into a salt slurry. Within an hour and a half it had increased 10% higher. So salt slurry will increase humidity in an incubator.
big_smile.png

So many horror stories about shipped eggs, I've avoided it. But I should probably at least look at eBay for anyone near me. Or may try having some shipped.
Me too!! I just can't bring myself to spend that much money on something that may not even hatch. My sister and her man bought (I think six) eggs from ebay, (don't ask what breed, cause it was before my chicken days when I didn't care...lol) and paid $35 or $40 for the eggs themselves (not counting shipping). And ended up with ONE hatching. I'm just not ready to go that route yet.

I hear unpopped pop corn is supposed to do well lowering humidity in incubators.

I got my marans off ebay from a man who lives 80 miles away and drove it. he is a really great guy were friends now. after figuring out it was my incubators that was killing my eggs which he helped with . And of course you guys I'm doing much better I paid $50 for the first dozen $30 for the second and he gave me 2 more I hatched 23 I sold the 12 roos for $12 apiece at sill have 9 nice hens and a good rooster. it was money well spent because I new nothing about hatching eggs with a incubator .that's why I'm so deep in the hole .I went a little nuts buying eggs from seven states all but a couple were good shippers and nice people but your right find one close look at the adult birds before you buy. I'm amazed at how many people won't let you do that around here.

Back
Top Bottom