She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. ohiojems

ohiojems Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2015
    Move to Ohio they all said. It will be fun they said! I just had to go find 8 pullets who were huddled under my briar bushes trying to stay dry. They are all locked up. Do they ever learn to go to the coop when it starts to rain????[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    My nn/ee started squatting a good 3-4weeks before she started laying. I thought for sure she'd be the first on to lay, but she wasn't. The others never really "squatted" noticeably before they started laying. I want to say they were between 22-26 weeks when they started. Once the first started I think the others all followed and all 5 of the original layers were laying within 2-3 weeks of the first starting.

LOL Mine go in if it's raining hard enough. Just sprinkling or light rain they might stay out in for a bit, but once it really comes down their butts are in their coops.

3. ohiojems

ohiojems Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2015
    It was a downpour. I could see a tiny bit of feathers sticking out from the bushes. I only found 7. Then after the rain slowed, #8 slowly emerged calling out. I have one girl, we have named Hawkeye. She is very stubborn and defiant. It's like dealing with a teenager. I think she is pretty too. Just a pain.

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Thank you! It really has been wonderful! I have some amazing friends (including you guys!) who have made me feel very special and blessed today!
    The gals at work put a big banner on my office door, streamers all over my office, and little confetti "happy birthdays" all over my desk! And we had yummy chocolate cake with the most heavenly icing! I'm a happy gal today.

Looks like I will have a few weeks before mine lay. My silkies are "supposed" to be 5 weeks older, but I'm thinking they may not really be. So I may see eggs some day......

And mine usually go under the coop when it rains! The ducks stand there like yard art! My roosters at camp high-tail it to the garage or the porch. Funny boys they are...

5. sideWing

sideWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2015
    Utah
    If I was going to spend that kind of scratch on a bator I would get a sportsmans cabinet model. At some point your just paying more for the brinsea brand right? I guess I just know a few folks that do great with them and they are much more affordable when you get up to that price.

My RSL started at 18 weeks. I have heard of others starting at 17. Really depends on the breed I think. Barred rock start at about 20 I think.

6. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Happy BDay, WV!
    [​IMG]
    This image is supposed to hatch and say happy bday but I don't know if I loaded it right! Is there a certain way to do those memes?
    Oh god...you sound like me! This is how I'm feeling too!! I wish some of mine were laying because I would have eggs in my back yard to incubate!! I'm in trouble next spring...serious trouble!!!

I'm going to set one more time before summer gets over too. Let me know when you're planning on setting and we could hatch together! :hugs

I was going to say that! Then I read you said it and I was laughing! ;)

There are a couple apps out there for hatching. I like the one I use, I can look for the name of it if you like. (I forget which one I went with).

7. sideWing

sideWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2015
    Utah
    I use iHatch on the iphone and it's lame. What app is a good one? I couldn't find another.

8. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
  9. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    For that kind of money I would have to look at the Sportsman, but it would take some excellent reviews and an easy operating system to move me from Brinsea. I hear nothing but good about the Sportsman, though

10. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I just checked. It's called "hatchabatch". You can set reminders and put notes in. It tracks each hatch and logs them into your calendar. I don't really need an app. But if I had multiples sets I would!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by