She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. BlackwoodHollow

BlackwoodHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Northeastish Ga
    Ooooo, snaaaaakkkeeessssssss[​IMG]

Sooo cute! I may end up with silkies by the time I am done with this thread!

Some of those are just too cute for words!

That's interesting. Good to know!

Quote:Originally Posted by scflock [​IMG]

Get out from under that rock [​IMG]
    I miss having you around. Can't wait to see how the remanned LG performs
    [​IMG]

*peeks* Awwwww, fanks. *smack* but it's my busy rock [​IMG]
    Meee toooo. C'mon postperson!

2. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    [​IMG] But somehow I doubt that first assertion.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  3. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Busy rock?[​IMG]

You need to prioritize! You get all my jokes! I need the validation [​IMG]

4. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    When I was born, they tinted the windows on the incubator

5. peecock

peecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2015
    Alabama
    How do you get the smile face and little monster

6. I let them rest 24 hrs and go ahead and set them you don't know when they were laid unless the eggs are dated . I had blue eggs shipped 700 miles got 20 and 19 were fertile 11 hatched not as good as sidewing but not to bad. good luck with the hatch

7. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    You on a computer or on the phone? On the computer, it's easy, just click the smiley face above the dialogue box and it will give you a bunch of different options. On the phone it's a little more involved
    New here? Welcome!

8. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    What's happening my friend? Making a rare mid day appearance?

9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I have 4.But they roost and they are in another coop. I originally had just the one, and she would roost on the very bottom roost by herself. Then we had a night that was supposed to be near freezing after they went to the coop early this spring and I was scared she'd be cold down there by herself so before bed I went out and put her up on the top with the rest. Next night I went out to close the coop and she was up there by herself with the rest...lol Then I got the three from my sister (the ones with the ugly feet) and they thought they were going to sleep in the nesting boxes so the first two nights I put them on the low roost and by the third night not only were they roosting but they were the first ones in the coop so they could get up on the top. lol So yes, my silkies roost and yes they are silkies. I have some mixes too, but they all have normal feathering and other than feathered legs, you'd never know they had silkie in them.

He is very beautiful way more so in person than any pic I have. The green and the oranges just pop in real life and even his eyes are an awesome orange. He is my baby. Even with his "disabilities" I don't regret him hatching. He's actually improved greatly since going to the coop.(Which I didn't think he'd ever be out there.) I didn't think he'd be able to handle the ramp and the first couple days and nights I carried him in and out and had seperate food and water in the run so he had it avaiable all day, next I knew he was mastering the ramp and goes in and out like no ones business.lol His "knee" joints, especially on one leg are turned in so his leg is turned out instead of straight.

Oh, that's so sad. [​IMG]

Shipped eggs with detached air cells is recommended to let them sit up right and hold off on turning. This is my belief: if they are upright there is less chance of the embryo sticking to any side and the first 3-4 days there isn't a whole lot of development to stick anywhere. I think it's most important once they start developing (day 4/5) to when they have developed into an actual chick (day 13/14). If you candle an egg that is being turned upright in an automatic turner it looks a lot different than a candled egg that is being turned. You can really see and experience the "why" we turn during development. With the egg laying on it's side it appears (until the embryo develops into the chick and not just veins and eyeballs) that the chick is only developing on one side. When you turn the egg the development turns so that it resufaces on the side of the egg that is facing up. I found the differences interesting and a bit fascinating when I did my first manuel turning. I question wether eggs stored upright in cartons need to be turned as well. Next spring I plan to experiment with that as well. I want to collect and store x number w/o turning and an equal number with turning and see if there is a big diference in the amount that start to develop.

1 person likes this.
  10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Hi!! Welcome to the thread! Yup, depends on what you are posting from. What is the little monster one?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by