She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

It is fun to slap Sc , but even better to find someone with small soft cheeks that go pink when you slap them!
Hmm I wonder if walnut or WV's cheeks go pink?
WV is mine
smack.gif

Walnut will beat the bejeezus out of you
smack.gif

If there is a text number, it could be legit. Just don't reply if they text back with an email address and ask you to communicate that way. CL is a great way to buy and sell, but some creepy things come along with it

thumbsup.gif
I can spot a creep a mile away! This guy actually gave a name, number and email. The pic was a screenshot from online, which he admitted, just to show the price of a new one. And the write-up sounds real.... why he's selling and all that. We'll see if he responds.

Alright, I have a ton of "real" work to do... so I'm off here for a bit. Don't go crazy without me, or I'll come back
smack.gif
ing.

I said "It wouldn't be nearly as funny without the element of surprise"
smack.gif

The one that doesn't lurk and post twice a month
smack.gif

smack.gif

I...me...my....me...mine....I
But I'm the narcissist
smack.gif

If one of us men posted something like that we would be eating carry out for a month
smack.gif

If you post the link
smack.gif

The cat
smack.gif

What about her statement deserved that tone of righteous indignation?
smack.gif

And that droning explanation?
smack.gif

Silkiecuddles is watching
smack.gif

Jealous of my minions?
smack.gif

Welcome to the thread!
smack.gif
And you think you know the tone of my writing?? It's just a reminder that I am not one of the tweens that run rampant through the aisles of BYC. Just cause I have a soft heart where animals are concerned doesn't mean I don't have intellegence of the "real world".
As for droning explanation: it's called CONVERSATION, you should try it someday.
tongue2.gif
And talk about droning explanation should I copy and past that self righteous explanation on the rules of smacking.....yawn.......

You mean those kids may actually be outside?
Try in bed....

If there is a text number, it could be legit. Just don't reply if they text back with an email address and ask you to communicate that way. CL is a great way to buy and sell, but some creepy things come along with it
That is so true!

thumbsup.gif
I can spot a creep a mile away! This guy actually gave a name, number and email. The pic was a screenshot from online, which he admitted, just to show the price of a new one. And the write-up sounds real.... why he's selling and all that. We'll see if he responds.

Alright, I have a ton of "real" work to do... so I'm off here for a bit. Don't go crazy without me, or I'll come back
smack.gif
ing.
smack.gif
all you want as long as it's SC....lol

And you think you know the tone of my writing?? It's just a reminder that I am not one of the tweens that run rampant through the aisles of BYC. Just cause I have a soft heart where animals are concerned doesn't mean I don't have intellegence of the "real world".
As for droning explanation: it's called CONVERSATION, you should try it someday.
tongue2.gif
And talk about droning explanation should I copy and past that self righteous explanation on the rules of smacking.....yawn.......
lau.gif

You make it so easy
smack.gif

I have a teething, cranky, non-stop crying baby. No Internet time for me. You know what stinks about getting behind on this thread is you start multi quoting then you see someone's already said exactly what you were going to say! I missed all the shipped eggs/turning talk!
I thought they needed to be turning sooner than that for the healthy ones? I thought I read that turning early on is super important and less so later on. I could be wrong.
Check out the article in my siggy if you get a chance. It's great for shipped eggs! I held off turning for the first 5 days and all eggs fully developed!
Thanks for that I will rest them for 24hrs and then check the air cells if they look ok I will set them with turner on, if not I will keep them fat end up without turning for 4/5 days
I would let them rest w/o turning for at least 4/5 days. Then start turning.
I have 4.But they roost and they are in another coop. I originally had just the one, and she would roost on the very bottom roost by herself. Then we had a night that was supposed to be near freezing after they went to the coop early this spring and I was scared she'd be cold down there by herself so before bed I went out and put her up on the top with the rest. Next night I went out to close the coop and she was up there by herself with the rest...lol Then I got the three from my sister (the ones with the ugly feet) and they thought they were going to sleep in the nesting boxes so the first two nights I put them on the low roost and by the third night not only were they roosting but they were the first ones in the coop so they could get up on the top. lol So yes, my silkies roost and yes they are silkies. I have some mixes too, but they all have normal feathering and other than feathered legs, you'd never know they had silkie in them. Shipped eggs with detached air cells is recommended to let them sit up right and hold off on turning. This is my belief: if they are upright there is less chance of the embryo sticking to any side and the first 3-4 days there isn't a whole lot of development to stick anywhere. I think it's most important once they start developing (day 4/5) to when they have developed into an actual chick (day 13/14). If you candle an egg that is being turned upright in an automatic turner it looks a lot different than a candled egg that is being turned. You can really see and experience the "why" we turn during development. With the egg laying on it's side it appears (until the embryo develops into the chick and not just veins and eyeballs) that the chick is only developing on one side. When you turn the egg the development turns so that it resufaces on the side of the egg that is facing up. I found the differences interesting and a bit fascinating when I did my first manuel turning. I question wether eggs stored upright in cartons need to be turned as well. Next spring I plan to experiment with that as well. I want to collect and store x number w/o turning and an equal number with turning and see if there is a big diference in the amount that start to develop.
I'm going to have to try putting mine on the roosts! They just all lay in a giant pile on the floor of the coop! Excellent post about turning/development. Well said!
So I moved the last 20 chicks (almost 6 weeks) out to the coop in the brooders this afternoon. The first time in almost a year that the house is totally chick free!!! I have to screen in my gate and fix a couple places in the run before they join the others. I'm hoping to try them out with the others in a couple weeks. We'll see. Feels good to have them out though. I love brooding the first 4 weeks or so inside, but them it gets to be a headache and so hard (at least with 20+) to keep clean and smell free. Not to mention the dust and feathers.....
All my chicks (chicken chicks) are out in the coop too! Now I have some major dusting to do!! It feels nice to get them out after that 4th week, like you said!
Well, 80% but who's counting. :p 11 out of 20 is great for shipped eggs too. Very interesting read about turning eggs here: http://dev.biologists.org/content/5/3/293.full.pdf "Consideration of the arrangement of the egg contents suggests that a particularly critical time for turning the eggs might be the latter part of the first week of incubation. At this time a large area of chorion lies close to the shell membranes and the layer of albumen between the two has been greatly reduced by a loss of fluid from the albumen to the yolk. Abnormal adhesions between the chorion and shell membranes, therefore, seem a possibility at this stage unless the shell and its membranes are periodically moved relative to the egg contents, i.e. unless the eggs are turned. " Results: I would still rather risk the detached cell eggs turning after two days to give the whole or attached eggs the best possible chance of hatching. I wonder why they didn't do a day 1-3 group? I have heard the embryo picks up nutrients from the egg as it sinks from one side to the other early on, but that doesn't make complete sense to me since it should be fed by the yolk. I think in light of all of that I would let them sit upright for 2 days and then start to turn. But that's just me.
Interesting! Thanks for the info. I was worried about not turning too for the first 5 days. Some people have the best results with shipped eggs and not turning for the first 7 days. 5 is my max and min! :)
My wife has the most severe phobia of snakes I have ever seen. Seriously, I had never seen a true phobia until I saw her see a snake for the first time. You should have seen her when I showed her what I pulled out of the silkie pen
I have to admit, I have a phobia too! So I know what you mean about your wife and a real phobia. My grandma tried to put me in phobia camp when I was a kid. But I wouldn't go because you don't graduate until you confront your phobia. (Mine is frogs) don't know why either...just a very real phobia. No fun!
So I just moved my eggs from standing to laying with their x's and o's. And I candled them just to see and it looks like for day 5 I have about 6 or 7 growing out of 13. Not happy.
Are the ones not developing infertile?
Ok, I have to share, this was my son's rat, Remi..ya, I know, but he's a kid and what else are you going to name a rat when you are 5??
I was gonna say "is that a opossum"!! Lol!! He's huge!! My mom loves rats! She's always had pet rats! I bought her a hairless one for her anniversary once!
Ben, you name him Ben. :gig Cute kid.
That's what my mom named him! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom