She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. dan26552

dan26552 True BYC Addict

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    So you made a mistake keeping Damien for his looks??! So what makes a "good" rooster? Good looks, nice and friendly, yet not too rough on the girls? I still want one that will protect his girls. I guess there is a happy medium there somewhere.

3. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Attitude (or lack of it) around people, good social skills within the flock (alerting to food, not hogging it), and moving toward a threat rather than running away. After those are met, it's all about looks. Conformation, color, and size are what the roo brings to the table.

1 person likes this.
  4. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Ummmm I won't asl

5. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    [​IMG]
    Silas is the best rooster I have ever had, or ever will have. I will cry if anything ever happens to him. He calls the girls to food, won't eat before they eat, takes treats from my hand and drops them for the girls and the chicks, is the first to call out any time a hawk flies over, and has never been the least bit aggressive towards me. I love this rooster. He is a little rough on the girls, but he only has 6 right now, so that's my fault. When I get him about 6 more I think he will be perfect.
    I don't know if Damien was a mistake or not. He was very friendly until the girls started laying. I don't know if he was an aggressive Polish, or if Polish are aggressive. They don't sell for me, so it's a moot point now. I have good roosters in all 7 pens, but the silkie and Silas treat the girls the best

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Are you kidding, I offer as a group from the beginning. My first lot of boys I gave away and wished I had kept my polish silkie and my silkie. The last lot I sold the barnyard mix roos with the extra girls I decided I didn't want. One buyer took all. The Spitzhauben boys and one girl I sold all together and got $5/bird. Then when I found out that almost all the ones I kept of Spitzes were boys, I let my sister have the extras. These guys are only 6 weeks. There's 4 that I am fairly sure at this point are little roos, another couple I have my suspicions on, but I'm going to wait on them cause they are nns. I have a strict don't ask don't tell when it comes to getting rid of extra birds. LOL My sister is/was supposed to take my aggressive nn roo, I already know that he will be supper wether they take him or I find alternative suckers.

Personality and looks. I like lots of color and variety. If Raven hadn't been such a suck up I probably never would have kept her because she's pretty much just black, but she' such a personable bird, I couldn't let go. I'm shallow, an like the pretty ones....lol

7. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    See, you're making me talk above your and BR's heads [​IMG]
    That's ok, though, I'm finding the challenge makes it more interesting [​IMG]

8. dan26552

dan26552 True BYC Addict

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    Oooh! Pretty

9. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    okay then :oops:

10. dan26552