She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

My Orloffs won't go in the coop when the shed door is shut. I don't think they like to go in to a darker place from a lighter place. If I leave the light on or the door is open, no problem. I'm ordering a couple of plastic vents/skylights for the shed to see if that will help with both light and ventilation.
If I talked the way I really want on that thread I would be instantly banned from BYC
You do, Snap out of it
smack.gif

The way I have it figured SC you have at least a coop full of friends
highfive.gif
hmmm sky lights for chickens that might work. I am putting lights in all mine .but its do little work a lot go a little and then the thread addiction it is worse than chicken addiction!! you can say what you want to on here but we'll never see it so go a head I like blank spots there easy to read

The way I have it figured SC you have at least a coop full of friends
highfive.gif
hmmm sky lights for chickens that might work. I am putting lights in all mine .but its do little work a lot go a little and then the thread addiction it is worse than chicken addiction!! you can say what you want to on here but we'll never see it so go a head I like blank spots there easy to read

I was really looking for vents and would like to put in a window, and found these roof vents with a translucent plastic cover to let light in too. I'm going to order a couple and see how they work.
31hCWjaH1-L.jpg

Last edited:
Can someone answer my egg-sticking-to-my-hen question?

I would just use warm water. Are you worried about it being off the eggs too long?
Kind of. She is sitting on four eggs I think. She originally had 6, but I moved one and then she broke one. The egg is pretty big and it's stuck to the feathers on her keel. It's dry. I think it happened yesterday.

Yes, very lucky.
big_smile.png

On a more practical and related note, what's the best way to detach a rotten egg covered in yolk sticking to a chicken? I've got a white silkie sitting on eggs. One egg broke and disappeared and got yolk all over a couple eggs. So now there is a LF egg "glued" to my silkie hen.

try taking a warm wet wash cloth very warm very wet working around where its stuck it should loosen if you get it wet enough for long enough

Kind of. She is sitting on four eggs I think. She originally had 6, but I moved one and then she broke one. The egg is pretty big and it's stuck to the feathers on her keel. It's dry. I think it happened yesterday.
I'd just bring her in, give her a bath in warm water and maybe a little mild soap, rinse her off and blow dry her - then put her back on the nest. Have everything ready beforehand so you can do it quickly.

What day of incubation are they? Do you have access to an incubator? I think it would be important to get the stink off her, b/c it's a breeding ground for bacteria. But, you risk breaking her broodiness. It's a calculated risk, either way. I think if I were in your shoes, I'd do a very wet sponge bath followed by a blow drier. If you can have someone do a nest clean up at the same time, that would be best as she'd be off the nest for a shorter time. Then, when you put her back, can you block her into the nest, and keep it dark to be sure she settles back into her broody role? I've never dealt with it, just saying what I'd do.

You could cut it out. May not look the prettiest, but would probably be the quickest, least stressful on her. Is she not trying to pick it out herself?

it should only take five minutes to loosen the egg the nest should be ok and the moisture should not hurt the other eggs very warm

Thanks for all the good info. I have an incubator, but I don't know what day they're on and I don't actually need these to hatch. I just put them under her. The one egg I actually "need" to hatch I put under my broody pigeon. I'll try bathing it off her. I'll probably just toss all the eggs out. :(

Back
Top Bottom