She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

What is caponizing?

Caponizing is surgical removal of the testes in very young male birds. They essentially grow up fat, happy, and without any male characteristics. It was a very common procedure when it took 20 weeks to grow birds to market size, as caponized birds grow bigger, faster, and don't get tough or aggressive.

Well, on a ride out in the countryside today I came across a community garage sale and scored some goodies.

I did pass on a medium pet carrier for $3 and now wish I had bought it, but I did come home with:

2 light duty two wire extension cords @ $0.50 each for use in my future hatcher
1 Targus laptop cooler (USB powered with two fans) @ $2.00 for my hatcher
A box of electrostatic register filters for my incubator @ $1.00 for a dozen.
There was a kitchen base cabinet that would have worked for my incubator but it was particle board, and I hate that stuff like you would not believe.  I'd love to find an ugly old birch ply 24" cabinet to repurpose.

Hshahahahaha! We also went to a yard sale today! I forgot to look again! lol! I ended up coming home with a new jogging stroller, a twin comforter for my 8 year old, a juicer for my hubby and some Japanese scroll paintings. I think they are paper and silk! I am going to have them appraised!

Caponizing is surgical removal of the testes in very young male birds.  They essentially grow up fat, happy, and without any male characteristics.  It was a very common procedure when it took 20 weeks to grow birds to market size, as caponized birds grow bigger, faster, and don't get tough or aggressive.

Cool, thanks for that. Do you know how much it costs? My hubby could not do it now because its a pet but eventually it could happen.

Well, on a ride out in the countryside today I came across a community garage sale and scored some goodies.

I did pass on a medium pet carrier for $3 and now wish I had bought it, but I did come home with:

2 light duty two wire extension cords @ $0.50 each for use in my future hatcher
1 Targus laptop cooler (USB powered with two fans) @ $2.00 for my hatcher
A box of electrostatic register filters for my incubator @ $1.00 for a dozen.
There was a kitchen base cabinet that would have worked for my incubator but it was particle board, and I hate that stuff like you would not believe.  I'd love to find an ugly old birch ply 24" cabinet to repurpose.

She scores!!
I have one small base cabinet, solid wood, left over from our camp build. Hubby had saved them from an old house that was being torn down. I stripped and refinished them. I hadn't even thought of using it. Thanks for that idea!

http://hatchcam.walnuthillfarmmi.com:8000/

Four beautiful little Narragansetts...two Narris and two mixed are running a day late...actually these four were two days early.

Yeah!! So sweet!

Cool, thanks for that. Do you know how much it costs? My hubby could not do it now because its a pet but eventually it could happen.

It doesn't cost anything but for the tools, it's a DIY project. And a caponized male makes a nice pet as well, no nuisance crowing. It just has to be done when they are young.

Last edited:
There was a mix of 3 week olds and I had my recently hatched babies out there because they were adjusted to the others well. And Iput them out so I wouldnt have to give the sitter a house key . But like my husband said live and learn. I knew I shouldn'thave had them outside . But it was either thembe out in the pen with the others or left to cook in the shed. But believe me before the next time I go vacationing I will definitely make sure that 1) we dont have babies and 2) that everybody is up and situated and that we have plenty of protection. From everything. I will def have things done totally differently next time.

I know that it is my own fault that I have experienced such a terrible ordeal. I accept full blame for all of my chicken problems. And we will no longer do things on a whim like buy babies 2 weeks before we leave. We are definitely doing things differently from here on out.

I know that it is my own fault that I have experienced such a terrible ordeal. I accept full blame for all of my chicken problems. And we will no longer do things on a whim like buy babies 2 weeks before we leave. We are definitely doing things differently from here on out.

Things happen. If the weather had been different, everything may have been just fine! Don't beat yourself up over it.

I'm hatching turkeys two weeks before a 10 day vacation, and don't have all my bird plans covered yet.

Last edited:

it takes time and dedication but two week old babies should have been fine! put larger rocks in the water to prevent that next time. they really only need to be checked once a day. for fresh water and food.

Back
Top Bottom