She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

So, candled again. All still have movement, the one with the pip looks to mostly be in the air cell but still moving about. One due on the 29th hasn't internally pipped yet but still moving well, the questionable one appears to be upside down in the shell, towards the space at the small end. Still moving but very doubtful on it. Just a very odd looking egg all together. Can see the duckling but so much empty space and even a little green strip in there. I do not count on it to hatch at all.It's supposedly due tomorrow.

I gotta ask you, how do you manage to candle so close to hatch? I know you're using a homemade incubator, right? Does it have a lid on it? Do you take the eggs out? I'm just curious because I've always wanted to see an internal pip in an egg. I can candle through my incubator window because its a dome and I put the fat end of the egg up against it, but It doesn't work that good. Even when there were pips, I could make out the air cell but could not see the pips! Drove me nuts! :)

Well finally made it to New Braunfels. So I can sit down and thank you all for giving me help and advice. And for all the condolences on the loss of our little Tiny Tim. I am very appreciative. of all of you. I love my BYC family Thank you all.
We are glad you decided to join the thread.
smile.png

It died in the shell. It's beak was covered by the membranes and it must have suffocated. It was very sad. Only 3 left out of the 4. Hoping they make it. Don't know if I will do shipped eggs again.
Sorry to hear that.

7 hatched. 2 zipping. 1 more piped. 10 out of 14 would be great. I'm confident the incubator is tuned in now.
That is great. I would say that you have the bator and the humidity worked out. Congrats!

I gotta ask you, how do you manage to candle so close to hatch? I know you're using a homemade incubator, right? Does it have a lid on it? Do you take the eggs out? I'm just curious because I've always wanted to see an internal pip in an egg. I can candle through my incubator window because its a dome and I put the fat end of the egg up against it, but It doesn't work that good. Even when there were pips, I could make out the air cell but could not see the pips! Drove me nuts!
smile.png
Next hatch, when you hear the first peep from within grab it out quick and candle so you can see an internal pip. It's not going to hurt the egg and you'll have hands on experience as to what it looks like. I think my last three out of this last hatch only hatched because they were sick of me shining my light in there to see if they were pipped...lol Everyone had action and I was worried about them...lol Funny thing is once the pipped externally, they were the basically the fastest to go from pip to zip.

I gotta ask you, how do you manage to candle so close to hatch? I know you're using a homemade incubator, right? Does it have a lid on it? Do you take the eggs out? I'm just curious because I've always wanted to see an internal pip in an egg. I can candle through my incubator window because its a dome and I put the fat end of the egg up against it, but It doesn't work that good. Even when there were pips, I could make out the air cell but could not see the pips! Drove me nuts! :)

Yeah I just take the egg outbof the incubator and shine into the air cell area. You can see a little moving shadow in the air cell area when they've internally pipped. My homemade little styro incubator will gain humidity back pretty fast so I don't worry about losing it by opening it every once in awhile.

Next hatch, when you hear the first peep from within grab it out quick and candle so you can see an internal pip. It's not going to hurt the egg and you'll have hands on experience as to what it looks like. I think my last three out of this last hatch only hatched because they were sick of me shining my light in there to see if they were pipped...lol Everyone had action and I was worried about them...lol  Funny thing is once the pipped externally, they were the basically the fastest to go from pip to zip.

Yeah I just take the egg outbof the incubator and shine into the air cell area. You can see a little moving shadow in the air cell area when they've internally pipped. My homemade little styro incubator will gain humidity back pretty fast so I don't worry about losing it by opening it every once in awhile.

You guys are great! I feel like a little kid who just got permission to peek at Christmas presents!! LMBO! I'm gonna do it! Most of the people on the pea forums are talking about seeing the internal pips too!...so since that's whats in my incubator, I will give it a try!

You guys are great! I feel like a little kid who just got permission to peek at Christmas presents!! LMBO! I'm gonna do it! Most of the people on the pea forums are talking about seeing the internal pips too!...so since that's whats in my incubator, I will give it a try!
I know we are enablers. Can't help twisting an arm here ar there.
wink.png

So, candled again. All still have movement, the one with the pip looks to mostly be in the air cell but still moving about. One due on the 29th hasn't internally pipped yet but still moving well, the questionable one appears to be upside down in the shell, towards the space at the small end. Still moving but very doubtful on it. Just a very odd looking egg all together. Can see the duckling but so much empty space and even a little green strip in there. I do not count on it to hatch at all.It's supposedly due tomorrow.

That last one sounds like it could come out sticky, if it makes it out. But don't rule it out yet. They are amazing little boogers and will surprise you. You've done a great job.

That last one sounds like it could come out sticky, if it makes it out. But don't rule it out yet. They are amazing little boogers and will surprise you. You've done a great job.
Well thanks hon. I'm quite proud of my cheap homemade little hot box :) Trying to decide exactly what turkeys I want lol I was thinking jersey buff cause I want to have all rare fowl if possible. I'm big on conservation

Sorry for the quick updates. I'm on my anniversary date weekend and getting updates from my daughter. 9 hatched and 2 more zipping out of 14 shipped eggs. I feel so blessed!

Well thanks hon. I'm quite proud of my cheap homemade little hot box :) Trying to decide exactly what turkeys I want lol I was thinking jersey buff cause I want to have all rare fowl if possible. I'm big on conservation

I'll have to google that one. Not familiar with that breed. I was given 2 bourbon reds and 2 blue slates when I got my duck eggs. One of the BRs was clear and I lost one of each when I had my power outage at day 14-16. But one blue slate hatched. She's the prettiest thing. And pretty sweet with all my chickens. But she is definitely the queen of the coop lol

Back
Top Bottom