She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Good luck and happy hatching, everybody!
SC, I like your little coop!
Ruby, my white silkie rooster from Meyer has a red-purple comb. :he it's turned more red as he ages. The mama of Pigeon is his daughter, and she has a very bright red comb.

Listen I shouldn't have said "ugly birds" because that's my opinion of the pictures I saw. If you're selling silkies then hopefully they would meet the basic standards. If they are your pets then they can look like anything and you can still love them. I wasn't saying silkies with red combs and 4 toes are ugly. I hope no one takes offense to what I said. I was just talking from a sales point of view.

Ok thanks for the info on mareks. I will definitely have to do more research. I work with 2 flocks, 1 is at 6 birds, with 15 chicks nearby and 12 eggs under a broody. The other had 21 birds.
There is one bird that went from the big flock down to my smaller flock and back to the big flock. It started have issues staying on its feet just before it went back to the big flock .
The person that lives out with the bigger flock thinks that the bird has mareks. Would that mean that dons advice would be to put down all 40odd birds or just the one showing sickness. No other bird in either flock has shown any signs of illness or odd behavior.
There is another flock 4 houses down from my smaller flock. About 180 feet away. I don't know if they have any symptoms.

Did you isolate that bird ASAP?

Curiosity: Has anyone heard of an aircell detaching at lockdown which had been solid before?

I have not but that is very interesting. Can you describe it more?

Ruby, I didn't take it offensively at all. I was just commenting that my hatchery silkie wasn't great quality.
WV, my hatchery buff hen has hardly any leg feathers either.

11 out of 14 is great, the ones I got were 2 out of 12. They also had detached aircells, these are now rock solid no movement at all on those aircells. I waited 7 days to start turning on those.
I switched the turner on last night for my new batch from Ravyn. I am not going to candle until Thursday night. It is probably good that I have a staggered hatch. It prevents me from obsessing. Th coolerbator seems to be doing well. Lock started today. I will increase the humidity on the nasties tonight. The shells are full of chick.

never ending story give the princess a new name start all over again.

@ ruby - sort of - it now lives inside at the farm and doesn't actually wander over near the fence which has the main flock on the other side of it.

Here is cluck cluck cluck

I don't have any good shots of Dorian's head - but his comb is almost straight - not like either acceptable type.

Back
Top Bottom