She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

The thermometer in the brooder says 99.5° right now. I figured I'd put him in the brooder cause there's still 2 eggs that haven't pipped but are still alive and then there's another 1 zipping right now so I figured I'd put this 1 in the brooder so he wasn't knocking the other eggs all around when he came out, lol.
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif

I'm so happy for you!! It's awesome, isn't it?
pop.gif

The other 2 eggs that haven't pipped, I'm worried about them, I'm thinking they're either malpositioned or maybe starting to shrinkwrap? I don't know what to do. Would it hurt them if I poked a little hole over top of the aircell to see what's going on or should I wait and see if they pip? They look really crammed in there.

I'm loving this, lol. He's starting to try to stand now. He's all over the bator, those poor eggs, lol
I had 3 hatch Sunday; still 2 that haven't pipped or even moved yet, so give yours some time yet. I'm going to give mine a couple more days.

2 of the 3 of mine were still dragging half the shell around like a boat anchor 'cause there was a little dried up thread (membrane, I guessed) attached between their butt & the shell. When it still hadn't pulled loose a couple hrs later I finally snipped it in two w/nail clippers.

I had 3 hatch Sunday; still 2 that haven't pipped or even moved yet, so give yours some time yet. I'm going to give mine a couple more days.

2 of the 3 of mine were still dragging half the shell around like a boat anchor 'cause there was a little dried up thread (membrane, I guessed) attached between their butt & the shell. When it still hadn't pulled loose a couple hrs later I finally snipped it in two w/nail clippers.
K, I'll wait. I was just getting worried cause all day yesterday these 2 little guys looked like they were trying to pip but just weren't getting anywhere. I'll wait and see what happens during yeh day today. Today at 1 starts day 24!
ETA: Yeah this little guy was dragging his shell for a little bit but it came loose on its own shortly after.

Last edited:
K, I'll wait. I was just getting worried cause all day yesterday these 2 little guys looked like they were trying to pip but just weren't getting anywhere. I'll wait and see what happens during yeh day today. Today at 1 starts day 24!
Don't know if you caught my post Sunday evening or not, but I went to bed Sat. night with one egg having a small place where the pip was starting. Next morning, no change. I went fishing all day; came home to the 1st chick out, dry, & running around...no action of any kind from the others. Within the next hour & a half 2 more went from not even a pip mark to out & running around. Amazing little creatures!

x2, x2, x2!!!!

Do youself a favor and don't waste your money, time, hopes and dreams on an LG.  They're just awful.  Hovabators have good reviews, though I have never used one personally.  You could even opt to make your own!  It's easier than you would think and super easy if you get a kit of some sort. 
We bought two LGs and neither one would hold temp for longer than a few days.  They would be fine and then out of nowhere, the temp would spike to 106 or 108!  Luckily we found this out during dry runs before we set any eggs or they would have been fried several times over.  And we had the LG9200.  The digital 9300 are supposed to be even worse.  Anyways, we ripped out the plumbing on one of the LG's and installed the incuKit mini(50 bucks).  It was easy as pudding pie. Our first hatch ever was 93%.  13/14 eggs.  Parade worthy ain't bad for a first go 'round.  No way that would have happened with an LG.  

Seriously, it's your money, but you should do some more research before you commit to buying one.  One Brinsea mini is worth a zillion and a half LGs.  Ask @scflock

I am going to have to order that kit!!!! Where did you get it?

Very nice! You're so lucky to be getting eggs! I can't wait!! Lol.
Wood ducks are beautiful but I've spoken to a couple different animal Rehabers that do wood ducks and they told me that they are really hard to hatch and raise because they are highly stressed animals. And they've lost a lot to stress. I've never done my own research on them but I have asked about them because I think they are gorgeous and I would LOVE to hatch them!! Just wanted to pass that along for you to look into.
Can you share how you work with shipped eggs and what you've found that does work for shipped, specifically?
Yay!!! That is such good news!!! I'm so happy!! After worrying that air cells are to small it's a relief to see how much they draw down anyway!, right? Lol. I'm so happy for you!!

If you plan on hatching for awhile then a brinsea is a good investment. I love it! It will make your life so much easier and have lots of peace of mind!

Okay. I will do some research. His buddy says they are super social and like to talk back when you talk to them. And they chill and sleep with the chickens. Lol!!

#1 is born!!! Is that stringy stuff behind him normal? Should I try to get it off?

Yay!!!! I would eat for it dry out then if it does not fall off on its own clip it with sanitized fingernail clippers close to the navel.

LL

Congratulations! Now, you need to get an avatar! Use your first chick ever to hatch as your avatar, when it's cute and fluffy of course. Happy for you. :) BTW, I take mine out..I don't like them playing bowling ball with the other eggs. That's me.

@ WalnutHill, pretty bird. She looks quite sweet.

@sidewing, that's a good looking brown egg.
Thanks! We have some Black Copper Marans coming up and I hope they lay much darker eggs.

I have one egg due to hatch tomorrow. It's alive but it's shaped like a "U" in the egg. And there is a U-shaped space right in the middle, under the air cell. It looks like I can see him moving his feet in and out of that space. That's not normal for a day 19/20 egg, right? I'm thinking that he can't possible be in the right position. I stopped turning this egg on day 16, to give it more undisturbed time to get in position, since it is a damaged shipped egg. The air cell is starting to draw down. I really shouldn't hold out much hope. Then I have 2 eggs due to hatch Friday that are alive. Most of the egg is dark except for a small space under the air cell that has veins.
fl.gif
for you Ruby! I have 16 due to hatch tomorrow. 2 of them I think are quitters, but 14 looked real good. 6 out of 7 look good under the broody.

#1 is born!!! Is that stringy stuff behind him normal? Should I try to get it off?
Don't pull it off. If you need to get it off make sure you cut it. You can pull off the belly button in affect and it will have yolk seeping out. They need that yolk for a few days to live off of. I have seen it happen and it's super sad.

The other 2 eggs that haven't pipped, I'm worried about them, I'm thinking they're either malpositioned or maybe starting to shrinkwrap? I don't know what to do. Would it hurt them if I poked a little hole over top of the aircell to see what's going on or should I wait and see if they pip? They look really crammed in there.
You can cause damage, yes. Inside the egg, before they internally pip the CO2 get's really high. This causes spasms and helps them break the membrane into the air cell. They get a rest while breathing in the air cell and when that CO2 gets too high they start to spasm and that leads to external pipping. If you break a hole in the egg on the fat end you can hinder that whole process. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom