She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Oh we aren't handling... but now I've got my nose pressed to the window and watching 2 others wiggle and jiggle now... LOL I was planning on going to bed early but now I just want to watch the eggs! :pop

...and then the hatching, and the clumsy little fluff balls stumbling over eachother. Then you get happy about their first poo, then you want to wipe ones foot that just stepped in Bros, then they're soft and cozy next thing you know you find yourself trying to hand feed them every meal... welcome to the insanity of baby birds.

Thanks for all the responses about the feed. I guess there is a couple different ways to do it. Anyone ever mix half layer with half flock raiser and offer oyster shell, or is that just over kill? Just curious.

Ok, question time!!

So as I was out walking the dog, my husband was adding water to the incubator, and he said one of the eggs "jumped" in his terms.  So I was pressing my nose to the window to see if any had pipped (today is 17 planning on locking down tomorrow at 6) and indeed, one seemingly wiggled.:eek:

Should I be concerned? Should we have gone into lockdown tonight? I don't see any external pips yet. 

:barnie

Yay!! That's exciting. What breed?

Thanks for all the responses about the feed. I guess there is a couple different ways to do it. Anyone ever mix half layer with half flock raiser and offer oyster shell, or is that just over kill? Just curious.
You can also mix scratch at about fifty percent.

Good morning, I have started adding half flock raiser to the layer because I don't think the layer has enough protein, my pullets have their own coop and pen. I also add oyster shell and crushed egg shells. They get a couple of handfuls of meal worms in the evenings and a cup of scratch. They only hatched this year and I feel that they are too young to only have 16% protein. Egg production has improved with this regime. Every one else gets the 20% flock raiser.

We have some BCM eggs from ebay (i've just been referring to them as "marans mix" because you never really know... And some Mille Fleur D'Uccles.

I start with the Nutrena non medicated chick/flock starter, once I see pullet eggs I start adding the layer. Right now, for the big birds, I'm using the feather fixer. The ducks get a combo of layer and starter. Everyone free ranges and get tons of protein from the bugs too. I have fresh oyster shell that I crush and leave on a stone for whoever to eat whenever.

Ok, question time!!

So as I was out walking the dog, my husband was adding water to the incubator, and he said one of the eggs "jumped" in his terms. So I was pressing my nose to the window to see if any had pipped (today is 17 planning on locking down tomorrow at 6) and indeed, one seemingly wiggled.
ep.gif

Should I be concerned? Should we have gone into lockdown tonight? I don't see any external pips yet.

barnie.gif

As stated, they are getting into position, head under wing and beak out. Don't be surprised if after they stop wiggling you don't see any ore movement until that first pip. Often after the initial rocking they rest and freak everyone out. This may interest you:

Back
Top Bottom