She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Hope the poor little mite responds to treatment. Of it doesn't it won't be for lack of trying. Healing thoughts.
I really hope so. It didn't look like the eye had gotten any worse since yesterday so I'm hoping we caught it in time. Will she be ok with 1 eye if the other does go blind?

Last edited:
I really hope so. It didn't look like the eye had gotten any worse since yesterday so I'm hoping we caught it in time. Will she be ok with 1 eye if the other does go blind?

I have had several blind in one eye layers. If you don't know the cause for sure I wouldn't use her in a breeding pool, but she should do just fine as a layer/all around bird.

I have had several blind in one eye layers.  If you don't know the cause for sure I wouldn't use her in a breeding pool, but she should do just fine as a layer/all around bird.
K, I just didn't know if the others might pick on her because of it or something. I'm hoping it will heal and she'll be fine but wanted to ask just incase.

I never got into the speed events, we mainly did HUS and hunter/jumper. Jumping was what I liked the best and we excelled at it. Several champions and reserve champions. I loved that crazy little Arab. He had a freeze brand on his neck that I looked up online years after my parents sold him and it said he was an American Mustang but I'm still not positive about that. Either way, he was looney, lol. Very spooky and flighty, but we meshed well together, I was just as crazy as he was, lol, thats why we did so well. I've never had another 1 like him. My parents only paid $800 for him. The best $800 ever spent in my opinion, lol.
That's awesome!

Thanks everyone
hugs.gif

I set four more cemani eggs and the one sex link egg she was on, so fingers crossed I get a good hatch. Snap's eggs are also still alive after the cooling, so at least that went okay.
fl.gif

Quote:
I also got the Vetericyn opthamolic gel. As an added precaution I got some Vetericyn eye wash as well. I put a few drops of the eye wash in her eye (that was real fun
hmm.png
) and then put a drop of gel in there. Holding open a tiny struggling chicks eye while you're trying to hold her still and put drops in her eye at the same time was NOT easy, lol.
I bet that's difficult. That's one lucky chick. Good thing she has you. Keep up the good work
thumbsup.gif

Ok, I just got home with Oxytetracycline powder, now I have to figure out how to mix it, lol. How much of this stuff should I put in a quart waterer? The directions on the back are clear as mud, they give directions for specific diseases but that's about it.
ETA: Also, I got some Wazine to worm the bigger birds and the directions on that are for 100+ birds, I don't have anywhere even close to that, any advice on how to administer that? I have 22 birds, all over 12 weeks old.

I looked it up and most people said to use 2.5 tbsp in 1 gallon which would be .625 in a quart so I just put a heaping half tbsp in it. Y'all think that's ok?

Everything you read or found I followed. So I hope everything works out. ;)

That's awesome!

:fl

Quote:
I bet that's difficult.  That's one lucky chick.  Good thing she has you.  Keep up the good work:thumbsup
Thanks, it was definitely not easy, lol, I just hope it works. Poor little thing, I feel so bad for her. She looks miserable. I've scratched my eye before and know it hurts like a b****, lol, there's almost nothing more irritating than a scratched eye.

Everything you read or found I followed. So I hope everything works out. ;)
K, I feel better now knowing that that's the correct dosage. I hope it helps the little guy. He hasn't been crying as much but I also moved the heat lamp down a little closer so they have more heat. Does anybody have any advice on pasty butt? I have to soak and wipe these guys butts atleast once a day, lol. Not all of them but about 3 of them get pasty butts all the time.

Thanks, it was definitely not easy, lol, I just hope it works. Poor little thing, I feel so bad for her. She looks miserable. I've scratched my eye before and know it hurts like a b****, lol, there's almost nothing more irritating than a scratched eye.
A pecked eye that you can't open for 24 hours...now that's a B..... lol It's even worse when it's the second time that you let it happen...

I also got the Vetericyn opthamolic gel. As an added precaution I got some Vetericyn eye wash as well. I put a few drops of the eye wash in her eye (that was real fun :/ ) and then put a drop of gel in there. Holding open a tiny struggling chicks eye while you're trying to hold her still and put drops in her eye at the same time was NOT easy, lol.

I really hope she's ok. Great job, btw!!
My neighbor has 2 chickens and 2 ducks with only 1 eye (all Probably could have been prevented with medication but anyway) they mix in with the flock just fine. I never see them get bullied. But when I bring treats, I just have to make sure I hold my hand down in front of the good eye or they don't see it.

Back
Top Bottom