She should be hatching and we don't know!!!!!!!!!!

catsmithpuddin

Songster
10 Years
Dec 19, 2009
haughton louisiana
:/OK.....little girl (barred rock) went broodie about 3 weeks ago. this is her first time and ours. We tried to keep her down to 3-4 eggs but fat girl and granny kept donating and by the time we got her to a dog kennel she was up to 10! She has been very dilegent and will barely get up and go 6 inches to get a drink or eat. If the magic number is 21 days we should have some tomorrow or so. then maybe a couple days after she should be done with what ever hatches.

Someone gave us a chick condo. It is old but I am gonna clean it up and get it in shape tomorrow oif the weather will clear up.

A couple of questions:

1. should I let he keep the chicks?
2. When I clean up the brooder should I worrk about bleaching it or just water?
3. The temps have been up in the 90s this week. will they be alright outside or should I keep them inside?
4. Food?
5. If any of them make it to hatch and I am going to get them out of there should I do it as soon as they hatch?
6. We are a little worried here and alot ignorant on what to do.

OH BTW she started setting 3 days after we found a slightly used incubator and received it in the mail!!!!!! Timing is everything! LOL

Thanks!

Quote:
Letting her keep the chicks is up to you.
No bleach
They will be fine outside during the day, but what about night - are the temps below 80?
Chick start
Let the mama take care of the babies

Next?
big_smile.png

1. should I let he keep the chicks?
Up to you
2. When I clean up the brooder should I worrk about bleaching it or just water?
mix it with a lot of water if you decide to use it
3. The temps have been up in the 90s this week. will they be alright outside or should I keep them inside?
keep them in just incase.
4. Food?
start and grow chick starter crumble
5. If any of them make it to hatch and I am going to get them out of there should I do it as soon as they hatch?
No let them dry off
6. We are a little worried here and alot ignorant on what to do.
let momma do everything! Just put food and water out there for them to have access. Dont worry about seperatin them and letting them in or out. Let them be! lol Good luck
big_smile.png

I agree with what every1 else says but I would leave them outside at night. I have had hens hatch out eggs in February. The babies crawl under mom for warmth. I think you should let her keep them unless she turns out to be a bad mom. Will save you haveing to brood them.

Back
Top Bottom