Shed to Coop Advice

People are telling you that a solid wall will cut down on dust. But you will need not only a solid wall, but you will need to completely seal any openings, holes or cracks where that wall connects to the ceiling, floor and side walls. Chicken dust is insidious and will very quickly coat all the surfaces in your laundry room with a thick layer. Even if you dust frequently, it will get in places that you can’t reach. I strongly suspect this plan will be disappointing for what you want. Perhaps I am overly pessimistic though. Maybe you would be able to seal it well enough
Thank you.

I cannot imagine doing laundry anywhere near a chicken coop!
In your climate ventilation is going to be a huge concern,
and it looks like there is no ventilation in that building.
Pinterest is almost always very pretty, but frequently lacks much if any practicality.

Anyway, I turned part of a shed into a coop, the dust is insane.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/
I saw it. Came out nice. Good job! Thank you.

I saw it. Came out nice. Good job! Thank you.
x10 on the dust issue.

Every few weeks I use a leaf blower to unburden my rafters and ceiling and my N95 mask is completely covered in seconds as is my hair and clothing.

I would plan to have the whole thing for a chicken use (like feed storage) or garden type use - but anything with machinery is going to get inundated with this dust and cause problems, potentially fire danger problems which is why laundry machines would kinda be asking for it. I offer this as money and sanity saving advice.

It's hard to explain how much dust chickens make. They don't even have to be outside in dirt to CREATE their own fine silt-y dust. It's amazing really. Speaking as a person who had chicks/ens inside while finishing the first coop - it is gross. It goes everywhere. There is no containing it.

x10 on the dust issue.

Every few weeks I use a leaf blower to unburden my rafters and ceiling and my N95 mask is completely covered in seconds as is my hair and clothing.

I would plan to have the whole thing for a chicken use (like feed storage) or garden type use - but anything with machinery is going to get inundated with this dust and cause problems, potentially fire danger problems which is why laundry machines would kinda be asking for it. I offer this as money and sanity saving advice.

It's hard to explain how much dust chickens make. They don't even have to be outside in dirt to CREATE their own fine silt-y dust. It's amazing really. Speaking as a person who had chicks/ens inside while finishing the first coop - it is gross. It goes everywhere. There is no containing it.
Bravo! I placed my shed coop idea on hold for now. It’s not going to be possible since I have my laundry machine in the shed, which I will cannot move from the shed. Also I already have a nice size coop. I did think about buying a cute prefabricated shed house from Home Depot and then doing some work to it. But I’m going to pass on that now too. I have decided to buy an enclosed chicken run/ pen with a roof for outdoors and will place my coop inside. Then I will probably add some hardcloth wire to make it more “predator proof” then decorate it with plants etc… it’ is 10' L x 12.5' W x 6.4' H… which is pretty big for my back yard… it will be on the left side of my shed… that way my girls will have lots of fun to play and dance! Thanks for your advice. Now I just need to figure out how tall I should add my hardcloth wire around the parameter of my run….. not sure if I should place hardcloth all over the run where the actual other wire is…. Not sure if that is necessary or cost effective??? I see that most folks place it around their run parameter ??? The bottom half and then put to the sides like a shirt to prevent digging! What do you think? Or should I add hardcloth to the entire unit? I think that’s going to cost me an arm and a leg…. The description says that it comes with PVC coated hexagonal wire mesh safety to your chicken. Everyone I’m sure will say that’s not strong enough.

Here are pics of what the run will look like and pics of how I would incorporate my coop….

Attachments

• 6EB22FD2-699D-4FE4-975B-0F3DB9F2598B.jpeg
    6EB22FD2-699D-4FE4-975B-0F3DB9F2598B.jpeg
    686.3 KB · Views: 5
  • A26B81E9-C862-4005-9AC9-C6B6D9FCF262.jpeg
    A26B81E9-C862-4005-9AC9-C6B6D9FCF262.jpeg
    802.8 KB · Views: 3
  • C9C6D3F8-0B0F-4598-A060-7CAC812044AC.jpeg
    C9C6D3F8-0B0F-4598-A060-7CAC812044AC.jpeg
    726.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 4B20B1C3-1E6F-409B-B8A7-089E9BB282F2.png
    4B20B1C3-1E6F-409B-B8A7-089E9BB282F2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Bravo! I placed my shed coop idea on hold for now. It’s not going to be possible since I have my laundry machine in the shed, which I will cannot move from the shed. Also I already have a nice size coop. I did think about buying a cute prefabricated shed house from Home Depot and then doing some work to it. But I’m going to pass on that now too. I have decided to buy an enclosed chicken run/ pen with a roof for outdoors and will place my coop inside. Then I will probably add some hardcloth wire to make it more “predator proof” then decorate it with plants etc… it’ is 10' L x 12.5' W x 6.4' H… which is pretty big for my back yard… it will be on the left side of my shed… that way my girls will have lots of fun to play and dance! Thanks for your advice. Now I just need to figure out how tall I should add my hardcloth wire around the parameter of my run….. not sure if I should place hardcloth all over the run where the actual other wire is…. Not sure if that is necessary or cost effective??? I see that most folks place it around their run parameter ??? The bottom half and then put to the sides like a shirt to prevent digging! What do you think? Or should I add hardcloth to the entire unit? I think that’s going to cost me an arm and a leg…. The description says that it comes with PVC coated hexagonal wire mesh safety to your chicken. Everyone I’m sure will say that’s not strong enough.

Here are pics of what the run will look like and pics of how I would incorporate my coop….
This is my coop… on the left side of my shed is where I will add that large run and then place my coop inside of it…

Attachments

• 55D2AD28-E4A1-4C09-8049-83AB84F386C7.jpeg
    55D2AD28-E4A1-4C09-8049-83AB84F386C7.jpeg
    917.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom