Sheep and Chickens...What to do with feed?

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello there!
We have 6 chickens and 3 sheep that live altogether on a fenced acre of our property. The chickens have a coop and run that they are in during the night and early morning. However, I let them out to free range around the acre during the day. I open up the run and prop the gate so they can get back into the run or coop if they want. However, my sheep can't eat the chicken feed because of the copper it contains. I've been removing the chicken feeder while the chickens are free ranging and then I put it back in the run in the evening when I put them back in the run for a little bit before I lock them into the coop at night. So, the chickens have access to the feed for a little bit in the evenings and also in the mornings before I let them out. Is this a good method? Should I not take away their feed for such a large portion of the day? If it is recommended I don't take away their feed during the day, how do I resolve the issue of the sheep eating the chicken feed? Hoping someone has some tips and tricks for me. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom