Shell-less egg

meetthebubus

Crowing
Mar 28, 2017
My girls have struggled with the heat and the feed being too crumbled so their calcium has been low and I've gotten a few weird eggs during the nighttime so I've given them more calcium supplements here is an example of what I found recently in case someone hasn't experienced it yet or is interested

Heat makes them drink too much water since that is a main way for them to cool off. The extra water causes them to poop out electrolytes so they need vitamins and electrolytes added to their water when it is hot.

One good way to up the calcium is to add food grade DE to their food. A couple of tablespoons per several scoops for a couple of days. Free choice oyster shell calcium in a separate feeder too. I use chick feeders.

It has been very hot here so I will be adding Big Old Bird from southland organics to their water this weekend. I am still getting good eggs and it was 108f yesterday.

@ronott1 that's the best advice that I didn't think about last summer they were babies in the brooder inside so this is their first summer really

Yup @Hybridchucks I'm in the southwest you see all the stories on national news about it we should be cooling down slightly this coming week it's been rough! I had to rescue them at 9 pm last night it was still 105 and they were crying bc of the heat so I went out armed with a flashlight and ice chips

A couple of times a week I cook some broken spaghetti in very little water, so that when it's done it's practically dry, and then I add 8-10 gel capsules containing calcium and vitamin D and stir until the capsules are dissolved. Then I add a large spoonful of wheat flour to the spaghetti and stir well. The flour makes the spaghetti sticky so that the contents of the capsules stick to it and there is hardly any left in the pan. Then I serve it to my chickens as soon as it cools off. They love it!

Back
Top Bottom