Shell-less egg

christifreitas

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
I have been looking online to find some helpers for this, but basically the only answer is calcium. I have 6 Golden Comet chickens, and one layed an egg with no shell. just the white and the yoke. Anything except calcium this could be? They're on Southern states laying feed. TIA!

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs
http://www.avianweb.com/eggproblems.html
How old is she? How many has she laid like that total? With young layers a range of odd eggs like shell less ones and inconstant laying is pretty common, especially with the commercial birds like Comets, it is usually just because of their age. They are working on getting their egg laying system into gear. Older birds will also do it occasionally, especially when they are coming back into lay after molting or something. There are a list of other causes, but with only one hen doing it, I would think it is related to her age and breed, not dietary or disease related. It usually does not have anything to do with calcium being deficient in her diet, but if she has a shell gland defect it is related to her ability to use the calcium correctly in making a shell.

Thank you!! I'm new to this...lol . It is our first flock, so I go a little google crazy when unusual things happen to them. They are apart of our family! Haha. She is only 23 weeks old. They started laying around 17-18 weeks. I'm glad it's just a baby thing, rather than something else. Thanks again!

Oh, and we have has one shell-less egg and one that was a very weak shell. It cracked and split as soon as it was layed. I don't know if it was the same chicken, but either way they are all the same age.

If she has just laid one or two and isn't doing it regularly, it is probably nothing to really worry about them, would think it is just her age and her working out the whole laying eggs thing. Chickens will drive you crazy coming up with new things to Google that is for sure. Good luck with your girls, Comets are really nice chickens and should make great layers for you.

Back
Top Bottom