Shelless egg

Pics

TearDucks

Songster
5 Years
Mar 16, 2018
Rochester NY
Hello,
A while ago my daughter and I were outside and she accidentally scared my ducks and my Peking laid a shelless egg on the spot. It was so strange, it didn't break when i picked it up. Actually had a lot of integrity for no shell. I didn't eat it, didn't think it was safe being unprotected without a shell. Has that happened to anyone else?

It only happened the one time, it was shortly after she started laying. Hasnt happened since and the eggs are strong. I've gotten a few double yokes in one egg. Those are cool. And I've gotten one huge egg i thought was gonna be a double yoker but it wasnt. They roam free so I've never given them any scratch or shells. They eat a variety of things including wheat, mealworms, fresh fruit and veggies, whole corn and sometimes quack snacks. They love apples. The river ducks won't eat apples but they eat peanuts. My ducks don't like peanuts. When it got super cold i bought peanuts but those went to the river ducks. They're much smaller then mine so they needed them more to stay warm then mine. It takes a little while to digest so it keeps them warm I've read.

Sounds like she just got the egg scared right out of her!!

I would offer oyster shells on the side as a free choice. There will be times that the egg making machine will glitch up and produce shell less eggs. It happens with any new layer but it is always better to be ahead of the issue, if one should a raise.

I don't think you have anything to worried about. Post some pictures of your ducks!!!

I agree. I was trying to but i hit the back button and I think I lost everything. Still learning this site. I will try again. Promise. Unfortunately my best egg layer is not doing good. Her wing is bleeding a little so she is home with what I believe to be her mate. I didnt take their eggs today. I gave them to her to sit on so she feels there's a purpose to being stuck home. I was trying to swap out who was in with her but my other female was fighting w her. It's very stressful.

I agree. I was trying to but i hit the back button and I think I lost everything. Still learning this site. I will try again. Promise. Unfortunately my best egg layer is not doing good. Her wing is bleeding a little so she is home with what I believe to be her mate. I didnt take their eggs today. I gave them to her to sit on so she feels there's a purpose to being stuck home. I was trying to swap out who was in with her but my other female was fighting w her. It's very stressful.
The best way to use this website/app is on a desk top. Hand held and mobile app is very tricky.

How many ducks do you have and how many males?

I have seven. Two females five males.theyve been fine but this spring they are adults and ...it's not going well. I know I have some hard decisions and loss ahead of me.
IMG_20180101_113654263.jpg

Back
Top Bottom